Mickey Mouse Ear Hat

Decorating By atwistedlime Updated 6 May 2010 , 6:39pm by atwistedlime

atwistedlime Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 4

Good morning all,

I am about to attempt something I have never tried before and could use a bit of brain storming. I am not a professional (but have made many cakes in the past) and am making this for my hubby.

I am going to attempt and make a Mikey Mouse Ear Hat like you would see at the park. I considered being lazy and just making it from 3 cakes flat on a surface but I would really like to attempt to make it 3D. I found a picture of one that had been created but as the ears they just used cardboard and sticks. I was really hoping to create something fully edible.

I had a thought (actually a friend did) to create the ears our of rice krispie treats but I am afraid they could be too heavy. We also discussed making the ears and a full "band" that would take up a slice of the middle of the cake that could hold it up, but I am still concerned that the ears might flop.

anyone have any thoughts on this? If you do not know what I mean by "Ear Hat" I would be happy to find some photos.

This will also be my first time working with fondant but I have read everything I can read about it and I have several hours set aside to practice on fondant before I will actually be making the cake.

Thanks!
Leslie

3 replies
sarkee Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 4

I used 1/2 of the ball pan for the hat part. The ears are made of fondant with skewers inserted. After they dry...stick them in the cake. pic in my photos.

TPACakeGirl Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 4

I recently made one. It's in my pictures. It was actually pretty easy. I used the Wilton ball pan and made the dome part of the hat. I then used about a 1/2-3/4" of RKT to add some more height to the hat. I iced the entire thing and covered in fondant.

I made the ears about a week in advance so they would dry. I rolled out fondant mixed with tylose or gum tex and then used a glass to cut out the ears to the shape I wanted. The fondant was thick enough for me to slide in a bamboo skewer in the center. Once it dried, I slipped it into the hat.

Let me know if you need any clarification. You can see the hat in my photos.

atwistedlime Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 4

Both are beautiful cakes... Now I am thinking I could make a base... hehe

Thank you for your comments. TPACakegirl: yours is almost exactly what I was thinking.

I am planning to print a mouse logo on edible paper to go on the front and use silver or gold edible paint to write his name on the back. I love your bases. These will help me a lot!

I was planning to make the ears Monday and play with the fondant and get used to how it works. This should be fun. icon_biggrin.gif

Would be happy to have anyone else's thoughts.

Leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%