I Can't Seem To Get My Mmf A Good Consistency/texture.

Baking By Shalott Updated 11 May 2010 , 1:12am by sberryp

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 6

I was watching a video on youtube that demonstrated the difference in texture between fondant and gumpaste. My fondant is NOT like the fondant in the video -- it doesn't stretch when you pull two pieces apart, it just breaks. It doesn't seem to have much give to it at all. What have I done wrong? Is this just the way MMF is? Have I added too much icing sugar?

Also, is there any way to overcome issues such as a change in consistency following the addition of dye? I know I could add it during the melting process, but that doesn't really work when you're decorating with multiple colours.

5 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #2 of 6

what recipe are you using i use 1 regular bag of mm marshmallows, 1 bag of con sugar, and 2 teaspoons water, i'm sure you know to grease up your hands really well before mixing, i forgot once ahhhhh. it sounds like you're not using enough crisco when mixing, i mix mine in a large bowl, in that bowl i start mixing in the con sugar, kind of start squeezing it togeather and twisting pulling, then pull more con sugar over, grease your hand's while mixing you mostly use the crisco when you have the sugar and marshmallow mixed you'll know when to crisco your hands because it will be hard to mix, twist, pull, just keep working the fondant, sometimes i will put a tad of water, when it's all mixed well i separate mine into 2 remember to crisco the outside of the fondant before wrapping in saran wrap i also flatten mine out some. mixing in color doesn't really affect the texture, you might have to use some more crisco when going to use it. you'll know, you can also nuke it for maybe 10 second to soften it, but watch it carefully, hope this helps

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:51am
post #3 of 6

From my experience, it sounds like you may have added too much PS. With a 16oz bag of marshmallows, I only end up using 3/4 of the PS (around 1.5 lbs).
2 things to try to salvage what you have. 1) Add some glycerine or corn syrup. Start with a tspn, knead and add a little more if needed - this will help make it pliable and soft. 2) If you have some marshmallows sitting around, try melting some (about 1/2 cup) and adding that to it...it'll be messy but just be sure to grease your hands really well and fold in a little bit of the PS into it to help it come together.

But, if you overheated the marshmallows to begin with, you may be done. I never heat mine over 2 minutes. 30 sec intervals, stirring inbetween and by the 3rd interval, it's all melted and set to go.

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:18am
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I've used LOTS of crisco, hoping that would solve the problem (it didn't), so I'll try melting more marshmallows into the stuff and next time use less powdered sugar.

I don't think I over-zapped my mm, but I guess that's a possibility too. I can work with the stuff, it's just not as pliable as I'd like.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 6

add a tiny bit of water tiny

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:12am
post #6 of 6

I had to add more powder sugar and crisco and then it turned out perfect. Don't try to cut the amount of sugar required

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%