Wilton Dusting Powder

Decorating By dpaulson512 Updated 7 May 2010 , 7:15pm by Texas_Rose

dpaulson512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpaulson512 Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 14

I want to use the dusting sugar in both gold and the irridescent white...can someone please icon_cry.gif help me in this arena? It is for my 50th birthday cake, and I think it would be fun to learn something new for my cake...

I will be using both fondant and buttercream on my cake...can I use this product on both mediums?

Thank you so much...

Dawn

13 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 14

Hi Dawn,
Not sure what you are asking. Yes the two can be mixed. It depends on which of the two you want to show up more. May want one to have more of one than the other. They can be dust on BC with a brush. Will not work if mixed into BC. Fondant yes it can be dust on, or painted on using vodka or clear vanilla or lemon extract that has an alcohol content. I hope this helps. I have found the color of Wilton dusting powder are not as deep as that of other products like CK.
Happy Caking
Hammy

dpaulson512 Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 14

Hi Hammy!

Thank you...sorry for the confusion. I want to use "both" colors; one on the cake itself, and the other as an accent...

I don't want to ruin my cake, but didn't know how they really worked; especially on buttercream.

Thanks for your help!

Dawn

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 14

Are you talking about the Wilton Shimmer dusts? Come in a package of three, small short jars with white lids?

You don't want to mix those with liquids to paint. What you do with them is wet the surface you want them on, and they will stick to that.

dpaulson512 Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you for telling me that! LOL...Yes, they are the three jars in one package...so I should brush my cake with a vanilla or almond extract and then sprinkle the powder on?

Thank you!!!!

icon_surprised.gif

TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 14

Yes, you want something that is wet, in the F/GP class we use gum glue to add the pink shimmers to the carnation.

dpaulson512 Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 14

Gum "glue" Can you get that at Michaels? Also, is that more recommended over a flavoring or extract?

Thanks for your help! icon_eek.gif

TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 14

Gum glue is just a little bit of fondant or gumpaste desolved in water. It is usually about about 1/4th a fondant/gumpaste to 1 tablespoon water.

I haven't used the extract or flavorings with it myself, so I can't say which is better.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 14

If you really want the cake to shimmer invest in a little luster dust or disco dust. I own some wilton dust and have never been happy with it. I love the luster dust. I use it with vodka to paint or dust it on with a soft brush.

dpaulson512 Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks TastyArt...where can I find that?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 14

I love the wilton dusts...the small vials of different colored pearl dusts, not the jars that come in the three pack.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 14

I have the wilton stuff that comes in the three pack, those are the ones I don't like. The luster dust can be purchased in several places on line. Some of the specialty cake shops have it too. Hobby lobby and michaels don't carry it.

wattersbw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wattersbw Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:13pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I have the wilton stuff that comes in the three pack, those are the ones I don't like. The luster dust can be purchased in several places on line. Some of the specialty cake shops have it too. Hobby lobby and michaels don't carry it.

Hobby lobby and Michaels both carry the luster dust were I live.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattersbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

Hobby lobby and Michaels both carry the luster dust were I live.

They carry it here too, the Wilton brands.

If you want other brands like CK, you have to go to a cake decorating supply shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%