Cover A Petal Shaped Tier In Fondant?

Decorating By mirda6275 Updated 6 May 2010 , 4:28pm by BillieH

mirda6275 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 6

any hints, tips or things that went well for others?!?!?

5 replies
Mug-a-Bug Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not very good at fondant so I can't really comment. BUT, Sharon Zambito covers a petal cake in her Flawless Fondant DVD. (She should be paying me for advertising, lol - I recommend those DVDs so much!)

Minstrelmiss Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

Gina-Molyneux posted a gorgous petal cake, maybe she could help you.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1651572

jhay Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 6

I know it's kind of an oxymoron, but you have to be patient and work quickly at the same time. Make sure that your fondant is not too dry, if I'm covering something like a hexagon or petal, I work quite a bit of crisco into the fondant first.

After you roll the fondant out, roll it back over the rolling pin and unroll it onto the cake. Immediately smooth out the top and run your fingers along the outer rim so that the fondant doesnt' start to stretch too much under the weight of what is sagging down. As you're smooting out the sides, gently stretch the fondant down to keep from getting creases or elephant skin. I usually use a fondant smoother to help keep even pressure and smooth the butter cream underneath at the same time.

With some practice, you'll do a great job. Good luck!

mirda6275 Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 6

Mug-a-bug, I actually have that dvd, but haven't watched it yet! I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend icon_smile.gif

thanks for the suggestions everyone!

BillieH Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 6

I did one recently. Just a one layer. I didn't run into any problems and my skills are pretty crappy IMHO lol icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%