Stacking With Ri Decorations...

Decorating By salsaman42 Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:36pm by KHalstead

salsaman42 Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:08am
post #1 of 3

Hi! Question for all of you. Wedding Saturday, cake is 16, 14, 12, 10 & 8" rounds. All have royal icing decorations on them that I NEED to put on at home. This is my first time for this type of cake/decor. Once they harden and I start stacking at the venue, when I "drop" one tier on top of the next will the dropping cause breakage/falling off of the RI decorations?
Also, is that how you all place your tiers, by dropping them on top of the previous one? I've always hated doing that, but don't know any other way. It's these 3 bigger bottom tiers that I'm most worried about. Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

2 replies
jobueno Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 3

To answer your question..yes. when you have RI or any other type of decoration on a cake before stacking you will have dropping and breakage of pieces.
I don't know about the rest of the people on this forum or in the cake decorating world, but I try not to DROP my tiers one on top of the other as you can and will cause damage to the cake structure. I have a spatula on hand or something bigger that I can place underneath the tier that will be placed and gently ease it in the position I want on top of my next tier. Dropping is not a very smart way to do this unless you have no other choice.
I would recommend extra RI decorations to take with you and some additional icing with an emergency kit (anything you think you might need to fix or repair the cake on site).

KHalstead Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 3

I definitely don't DROP the cakes onto eachother.

I use sps, so I tilt the tier i'm adding on a little bit so I can see that I'm getting it close to center, I set the front of the cake down into position, wiggle a little side to side to find my hole.....once I've located the hole and the peg in the plate goes in I stick a long offset spatula under the back end of the cake (that I'm holding with my hand, and my other hand is on the top of the cake on the next plate so I don't mess up icing)
and then slowly lower it down and just before it's completely down I slip the offset spatula out from under it.

Sometimes I'll ding the icing a little as I pull the spatula which is why I always remove the spatula at the back of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%