Buttercream Flowers

Decorating By bethyscake Updated 6 May 2010 , 11:11pm by rkei

bethyscake Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:11am
post #1 of 5

1) I am making a cake in two days with chocolate butter cream flowers, can I make them on Thursday for sat and what is the best way to store them.
2) Is it different for chocolate butter cream compared to regular butter cream. also I make mine with no dairy.

4 replies
indydebi Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:59am
post #2 of 5

make the flowers and put them on a tray; leave them on your counter to air dry. Air drying removes the moisture from the icing, leaving a nice, lightweight, easy to handle, well crusted flower.

Making flowers on Thursday for a Saturday cake was my normal schedule.

bethyscake Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 5

And there is no difference with it being chocolate butter cream? How about making flowers Thursday for Sunday or even Tuesday. For longer waits would i set out and freeze or keep them sitting out but covered to not collect dust.

indydebi Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 5

I never noticed any difference between choc and regular BC. Crusting is a ratio of fat to sugar.

I also never froze them. If you're going to keep them for weeks or months, you might freeze them after you air dry them. Otherwise, I just kept them handy on one of my large trays stored on my baking rack.

rkei Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 5

Wow, I never heard of air drying. I usually froze my flowers, then as soon as they wouldn't crumble, I'd put them on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%