Using The Dit Products

Decorating By victoryfarm Updated 6 May 2010 , 6:09pm by victoryfarm

victoryfarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoryfarm Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:48am
post #1 of 3

Hi all-

I'm new to mold-making, but headed in this direction a few years back, and just never had the time to follow through. From that time period I have some supplies I bought, including something called GLOSS-DIT. Now I can't remember exactly what that was for, and I don't see it listed among the DIT products anymore.

Can anyone tell me what it did - is it the equivalent of either RELEASE-DIT OR SEAL-DIT?

Also, I have several wooden molds that I'd like to copy, for various reasons. Some I want to use with papercasting and don't want to use the wooden molds, as they'd get pretty well soaked (I've done a lot of papercasting over the years, so I know this), and that will affect the life of the molds. Others are antique molds, and I'd rather copy them and use the copies and not risk damaging the originals.

I know I'll need to seal them first, before using a silicone casting material. If I seal them with SEAL-DIT, will it damage the original? I generally use mineral oil on my molds, to keep them from drying out. Will this have any effect on the SEAL-DIT or the silicone (although the silicone shouldn't be an issue if I've properly sealed them first, of course).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mary

2 replies
MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Victoryfarm - Gloss dit was a material I came up with to add gloss to an object before mold making. I stopped supplying it because everyone would first put on seal dit then gloss dit and it would never hold to the piece once seal dit was applied.

Seal-Dit applied to your wooden models will affect the wood in a very similar manner than the mineral oil. Before applying seal-dit I would wipe off as much mineral oil as possible, then apply the seal dit and it should work just fine.

Great Questions

Dominic icon_smile.gif

victoryfarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoryfarm Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, Dominic!

That was pretty much what I thought, but I've been having a lot of "senior moments" lately - LOL! Can't imagine why I bought Gloss-Dit and not Seal-Dit as well. Hmmmm...

Obviously, I'll try the Seal-Dit on the not-so-valuable molds first, just to get a feel for it, but I have a beautiful antique cake topper mold that is starting to develop an age crack, so I want to make a copy that I can actually use (and before it gets worse). I've been told that Vaseline is a good substance to use for filling the crack. Unless you have another suggestion? Well, that one is down the road a bit, anyway, as I have projects that need to be done sooner.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Mary

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%