Whats The Smallest Topsy Turvy Cake You've Made?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 7 May 2010 , 6:22pm by lissyUK

confectionsofahousewife Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 13

I am making a birthday cake for a friend next week and she wants two tiers (even though there will be leftovers) and I thought I might try a topsy turvy. I have never tried one before and she has no stipulations except that the icing be buttercream and hot pink. I don't want to make a super huge cake because that's just excessive. I read a tutorial on here and think I will use the method where you bake three layers for each tier in graduated sizes and was thinking that the top tier would consist of 4-5-6 and the bottom tier 6-7-8. Is the top tier too small? Am I going to have issues? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

12 replies
confectionsofahousewife Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 13

No one? I'll just have to wing it!

labrat Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 13

I have used a jumbo muffin for the top tier - I think it was a 3" bottom, 3.5" at the top...the second tier was a 5" cake before carving.

all4cake Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 13

no, you shouldn't have issues due to using those sizes.

I've used a 7 tapered, 6 tapered, and 5 tapered(that one was a little tricky).

I don't use the graduated layers to assemble...gives me more control over the tapering (IMMHO)...

in buttercream too

katies_cakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 13

i have done a two tier topsy (in my photos the mario one) i used the different sized layers as you want to. mine was 4, 5, 6 (top) and 6, 7, 8 (bottom) i had a few problems with carving the top tier as the bottom of it was only4" but i managed it in the end! just ensure you use a dense cake recipe! HTH

jewels710 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 13

If the amount of cake you'll end up with is an issue, why not do one of the layers with a cake dummy? Just a thought.

Also, when doing a topsy turvy you do not have to do graduated layers. You can bake all one size and taper them as you see fit. Less filling in the unevenness if that makes sense.

Good Luck and have fun!

joyfullysweet Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 13

I just recently did a topsy-turvy (the pink and purple in my pics) I did NOT use graduated layers. I used 3 layers of 8 inch and 3 layers of 6 inch. Carved and tapered. I also use the "cut a whole out of the bottom cake" method. HTH

Minstrelmiss Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 13

In my photos is an Alice in Wonderland cake that the bottom tier (Mad Hatter's Hat) is a dummy, then the next two layers are a 6" and a 4". It could have easily been TT without having too much cake like jewels710 said. Also I did a TT of Nightmare Before Christmas last week that as a 6" TT with a 4" on top. I baked four 4" cakes for the top. Having the top layer be really tall added to the turviness. Good luck!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks guys! I want to do the graduated layers method because I'm afraid if I try and carve it myself I won't do it evenly. In my carving experience thus far, I am not very good at getting a symmetrical shape. One side will more tapered than the other! But, I also don't like having to fill in holes due to the graduated layers! I'll just have to try it out and see.

KHalstead Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 13

this cake is exactly those dimensions!

4-5-6 top and6-7-8 bottom

confectionsofahousewife Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks KHalstead! Definitely helps to see a picture! How many dowels did you use in the bottom cake to support the top one? And did you use a central dowel?

KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 13

I used 3 dowels in a triangle (hollow plastic dowels) and I did use a central dowel because the customer was driving with it and I didn't want it to topple. Doesn't look like it in the photos by that top tier when it's tapered down to 4" is SOOOO tiny so I wanted to make sure it was secure!

lissyUK Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks so much for asking this question. I was literally just about to ask the same thing. Need to do a cake to serve about 12, so wanted to do a 6" and a 4" topsy turvy - didn't fancy carving a polystrene dummy! Now i know that's not crazy small i'll give it a go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%