Coloring Buttercream Red

Baking By klj0207 Updated 7 May 2010 , 4:28pm by TexasSugar

klj0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klj0207 Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 5

I know this has been a topic before, but I don't know what to do. I am trying to get 'bandana' color red. I'm using the wilton buttercream recipe, and I've used 1/2 container of the no taste red, along with mixing other color reds to try and get it dark enough. And I'm having the same problem alot of people have had, it's seperating. I don't know whether to throw it out and start over or what.....red is frustrating! I'm using wilton, Kountry Kitchens, and americolor red. It's still looking a little on the pink side. Is there a better buttercream recipe I can try?

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 5

How much icing are you trying to color? Have you allowed it to sit and ripen/mature?

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 5

When I make red, I never start with white icing and add red. I make a dark pink icing with pink food coloring, let it stand and mature over night, and then use Americolor Red Red. Let that stand for a while for the color to mature, and you should have a nice vibrant red.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 5

Add some cornstarch into it. That will help with the separating issues. No need to throw it out.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 5

Another tip I picked up from one of my students, if you do decide to start over, use the red liquid food coloring in place of the liquid in your icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%