Red Velvet Cake/cup Cakes

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 6 May 2010 , 2:24am by sweetiesbykim

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 4

hello,

ok so i made some red velvet cup cakes and this is the 2nd time i've done it and both times tried different recipes and I can't seem to get a nice bright red color... what am I doing wrong?

Both recipes called for 1oz of red coloring and the 2nd time I even added 1 1/2 oz... but it did look red inside but for some reason it looked brown chocolate on the outside... how do I make it red?

So many bakeries have beautiful red color....

if anyone can share a great recipe of theirs maybe I will give it a 3rd go!

Thanks, Sara

3 replies
TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 4

Check out the Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet recipe. It has a nice color.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 4

I use cakeman raven's recipe (google him you'll find it on his website) and I just swear by it.

One thing I did notice is that most recipes call for 1 table spoon of cocoa, iI usually just use 1 teaspoon (like in ravens recipe) and it comes out nice and red. I also find that baking it longer at a lower temperature helps too.

But give his recipe a try, you will not be disappointed!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 4

Do you mean the crust is a little brown from the pan edges, but the inside of the cake is nice and red? I think that's perfect! I wouldn't want more red than necessary so customer's mouths are red, and I like the slight taste of cocoa, so I wouldn't cut back on that either. You could always try the cake mix recipe (WASC), using a red velvet cake mix and adding red if it needed it -haven't tried it though. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%