Tips For A First Wedding Cake And Tasting

Decorating By cupcakeatheart Updated 6 May 2010 , 7:35pm by brincess_b

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 6

I am SOOOOO EXCITED! icon_lol.gif I just got a call from a new client who would like me to do her wedding cake! This is my first one and I have never done a taste testing or a real wedding cake yet. Any advice from the CC experts out there?

TIA

5 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 6

congrats on the first wedding cake!
I always ask them what flavors they are looking for, and let them sample one or two flavors. you can make cupcakes of various flavors before with whatever icing that you plan on using. if you have any fillings that they want to try, you can put them on the side.
or just make a small 4" or 6" of two cake flavors, and let them decide from there. if you offer too many options, they can get confused/overwhelmed.

cupcakeatheart Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 6

Thanks CutieMcCakes! We haven't talked about design or anything like that yet. Should I talk about that at the tasting with them and sign a contract and get a deposit?

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 6

have them come with any ideas or pictures that they like. then, at the tasting, review the pictures and come up with a sketch that they like. you'll want to get info like date, time, location, how many people etc. the more info you can get, the better. as far as the contract, if you know how much you would be charging by the end of the meeting and are able to put together a contract on the spot, go for it. they may or may not be ready to put a deposit down and sign (especially if they are "tasting around"). I would definitely get a deposit upon signing of the contract, and in the contract, have a section that says when the full payment is due by. thumbs_up.gif

cupcakeatheart Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much for the help

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 6

have a look at some of the old posts on this topic, theres lots of nice little ideas.
- to charge or not to charge? to put any charge towards the cost of the order?
- size of cake - 4/6 inch is not a taste it is a whole cake. most people do cupcakes/ mini cupcakes, or small slices of cake. and them do you put icing on the cake, or put out dishes to create their own combos?
- flavours - some people just do one or two flavours, some offer whatever they have baked for someone else, some pull a variety out of the freezer - usually if they want more than the basic flavours, or want to try a lot of flavours, people charge.
- area - where are you sitting - nice, clean, if its at home no family to interupt? do you have display cakes or photo albums? something to sketch with? will you make time for them to chat as you 'tidy up'?
- drinks - usually just a glass of water does the job.
- how many guests - again it relates to charging, and space. do you want kids there? do you just want the couple, or is the whole extended family welcome (most people would say no!)
- contracts- good idea to have it there, but if its a tricky order to price, say 'i will get back to you before X with a price' rather than pull a number out thin air.
- sketch - a lot of people do the sketch, but not everyone lets them take it away unless the order is paid - risk of them just taking it to someone cheaper.

there are draft contracts of this website, which also helps you to know what to ask at the tasting.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%