Figure Out What Size Cakes With Multiple Shaped Tiers?

Decorating By mirda6275 Updated 7 May 2010 , 2:08am by Kitagrl

mirda6275 Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 2

I want to make a 3 tier cake that has the first layer round, 2nd layer either petal or individual small round cakes then the top tier round and I'm having trouble figuring out which sizes look good. I don't need that many servings, so the smaller the better with a 4 or 6 inch top tier, if it works, and getting larger as it goes down or I can use dummy cakes if the proportions would yield too much cake.

I'm wanting to make something different (for me and my family) for my grandmother's 100th birthday. I've taken a picture of her and scanned it in, shrunk it and am getting it printed as an edible image to put on each of the petals/small cakes on the 2nd tier to create a cameo look.

1 reply
Kitagrl Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirda6275

I want to make a 3 tier cake that has the first layer round, 2nd layer either petal or individual small round cakes then the top tier round and I'm having trouble figuring out which sizes look good. I don't need that many servings, so the smaller the better with a 4 or 6 inch top tier, if it works, and getting larger as it goes down or I can use dummy cakes if the proportions would yield too much cake.

I'm wanting to make something different (for me and my family) for my grandmother's 100th birthday. I've taken a picture of her and scanned it in, shrunk it and am getting it printed as an edible image to put on each of the petals/small cakes on the 2nd tier to create a cameo look.

Any three tiered cake is going to serve a minimum of 50-70 people... unless you hand cut pretty small cakes. For a more straight up and down cake, do the sizes 2" apart (like 10"/8"/6" etc) or for a more "stairstepped" tiered look, do the sizes 4" apart (like 12"/8"/4")

The 2" apart choice will give you a little less cake if you don't need so much.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%