"moss Covered" Globe Pillars

Decorating By pursuing_perfection Updated 6 May 2010 , 12:05am by casme

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 3

I just saw the June cover of the Cake Central Magazine. What an incredible cake! I would love to know how to make it...but I will settle for one technique at a time. The "moss covered" balls supporting the upper tiers caught my eye. I would love to know how to do this. Does anyone have any ideas what was used? I know you can cover globe pillars with fondant to change the look...but this was obviously more than fondant. Any suggestions, as I would love to use this on a post-wedding reception cake that I will be doing in a couple of weeks? Thanks for any help you can give me!

2 replies
shyann_rayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shyann_rayne Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 3

I think I saw on a cake for moss one time that they took royal icing in the color you want spread it out let it dry and scrap or break it up. You may be able to use small foam balls and coat with buttercream or piping gel or something and roll it in crumbs. I havn't tried it personally and for the life of me i can not remeber where i saw this. hope this helps.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 3

I haven't seen the picture but what about dyeing then chinese noodles and apply to a coat of bc. Or use a garlic press with some fondant or gumpaste, cut the strips up and fluff them in a pile to let them dry then stick on with bc. Just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%