Figures From Rice Krispy Treats

Decorating By LindieLu Updated 5 May 2010 , 7:55pm by jones5cm

LindieLu Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 6

(I'm sorry if this question has been answered before but when I wasn't successful using the search option.)

I want to make Bob the tomato and Larry the cucumber (from Veggie Tales) from rice krispy treats since they are pretty easy shapes. I've never used Rice Krispy treats before to make into other things.. do you have any advice or helpful tricks???

(Also, i will be covering them with fondant - what should i use to "glue" them together?)

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
Ballymena Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 6

Leave the butter out of the recips so the mixture hardens up better, lightly ice with buttercream and then apply fondant.

idgalpal Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 6

I've also heard of people cruching the cereal a little beofre making them, it makes it less lumpy

2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 6

pack your RKT tightly - they will hold much better, less of a chance the weight of the fondant will pull them apart. I had a chef tell me she coats them with crisco before applying the fondant. I've coated with buttercream and smoothed the buttercream well before putting the fondant on - I tried using crisco, but it made the little buggers hard to hold on to!

msulli10 Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 6

I can't be bothered making the rice krispy treats so I buy them. I just squish (real technical term) into whatever shape I want. I coat them with buttercream and cover with fondant. I've done several this way and have always been happy with the results. You can check out my photos if you want.

jones5cm Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

I have also used the pre-made ones for smaller objects (it's too hard to get multiple ones to stick together) and found that if you warm them in the microwave just a little bit, they are more pliable and easier to form.

Quote by @%username% on %date%