Coloring Modeling Chocolate

Baking By aprilblack Updated 6 May 2010 , 5:36pm by Redsoxbaker

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 12

I want to color some modeling chocolate black. Do I add the color after I melt the chocolate when I add the syrup? Should I use regular chocolate or white? I assumed starting with a darker color to achieve the black would work the best... I would appreciate any suggestions... TIA April

11 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 12

I've been wondering about coloring modeling chocolate, too. Can you just use regular colors like Americolor or Wilton, or does it have to be something especially made for candy?

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 12

If you use the coloring after the candy clay is made, it works perfectly fine to use normal gel/paste colors. I just knead them in like with fondant.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 12

You can also add a few drops of Super Black gel to the chocolate when melting too...less mess.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 12

I just add gel colors after i make my chocolate and it has set up. Just like i do fondant or g/p.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 12

I use regular Wilton gel or Americolor gel to color my modeling chocolate/candy clay.

If you need a large amount of a color it is easiest to add the color after you have mixed up the chocolate and corn syrup and poured it onto wax paper. I wear gloves and use my hands to mix it up while the clay is still warm, not too hot. Put it in a ziplock bag and let it rest overnight as usual.

If you just need a small amount you can add a tiny amount of color to a small piece of clay as you are working with it to make it pliable.

For black fondant I use Wilton dark cocoa candy melts and add Americolor Super Black. Works great. Also, at Halloween Wilton sells a true black candy melt and I stock up and freeze those to use all year.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks everyone!!! icon_smile.gif

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks.. I will have to be on the lookout for the black candy melts. That is a fabulous idea!!

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 12

It is funny that A.C. Moore has so many different colored chocolate melts but for some reason they don't carry black ones! You would think black would be a color in demand. I do have a couple of small bags of wilton ones that I got in a halloween kit that I never used but it's surprising to me they don't make black ones. icon_sad.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 12

Country Kitchen has black candy melts.....

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 12

Sorry, I made a typo in my above post-I meant to say "for black modeling chocolate"-not fondant. I have no idea why I wrote that, I don't even use fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

Now I'm off to check out the black candy melts at Country Kitchen...thanks for the tip nancyg!

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 12

kimblyd, I didn't know your could freeze candy melts! How long can you freeze them? Do you know how long they last if you don't freeze them? I've had mine since October. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%