Coloring Modeling Chocolate

Baking By aprilblack Updated 6 May 2010 , 5:36pm by Redsoxbaker

aprilblack Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 12

I want to color some modeling chocolate black. Do I add the color after I melt the chocolate when I add the syrup? Should I use regular chocolate or white? I assumed starting with a darker color to achieve the black would work the best... I would appreciate any suggestions... TIA April

11 replies
JGMB Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 12

I've been wondering about coloring modeling chocolate, too. Can you just use regular colors like Americolor or Wilton, or does it have to be something especially made for candy?

mandyloo Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 12

If you use the coloring after the candy clay is made, it works perfectly fine to use normal gel/paste colors. I just knead them in like with fondant.

jones5cm Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 12

You can also add a few drops of Super Black gel to the chocolate when melting too...less mess.

icer101 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 12

I just add gel colors after i make my chocolate and it has set up. Just like i do fondant or g/p.

kimblyd Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 12

I use regular Wilton gel or Americolor gel to color my modeling chocolate/candy clay.

If you need a large amount of a color it is easiest to add the color after you have mixed up the chocolate and corn syrup and poured it onto wax paper. I wear gloves and use my hands to mix it up while the clay is still warm, not too hot. Put it in a ziplock bag and let it rest overnight as usual.

If you just need a small amount you can add a tiny amount of color to a small piece of clay as you are working with it to make it pliable.

For black fondant I use Wilton dark cocoa candy melts and add Americolor Super Black. Works great. Also, at Halloween Wilton sells a true black candy melt and I stock up and freeze those to use all year.

JGMB Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks everyone!!! icon_smile.gif

aprilblack Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks.. I will have to be on the lookout for the black candy melts. That is a fabulous idea!!

Redsoxbaker Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 12

It is funny that A.C. Moore has so many different colored chocolate melts but for some reason they don't carry black ones! You would think black would be a color in demand. I do have a couple of small bags of wilton ones that I got in a halloween kit that I never used but it's surprising to me they don't make black ones. icon_sad.gif

nancyg Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 12

Country Kitchen has black candy melts.....

kimblyd Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 12

Sorry, I made a typo in my above post-I meant to say "for black modeling chocolate"-not fondant. I have no idea why I wrote that, I don't even use fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

Now I'm off to check out the black candy melts at Country Kitchen...thanks for the tip nancyg!

Redsoxbaker Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 12

kimblyd, I didn't know your could freeze candy melts! How long can you freeze them? Do you know how long they last if you don't freeze them? I've had mine since October. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%