Best Way To Make This 'secure' And Stack It?

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:01pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 6

I got asked to do a luau theme cake for a friends birthday party.

I was trying to decide between a sheet cake done in 2/3 sand and 1/3 water with fondant accents all over it.
the sheet cake being the ocean, then in the middle, putting an 'island' made out of cake on top of that in the middle, then putting a grass hut on top of that, with all the fondant accents all over.

What type of support do I need to do that?

nothing will be 'suspended' it will all be laying directly on each other. but, the most I have ever done is put a half round on top and decorate it. (as a baseball, and as a hunting blind).

Also, I have the pyrex dish that I use to make the hunting blind, its just a small bowl, little larger than a cereal bowl.

I thought about using it for the roof of the hut. would I take 3 or 4 round 'cakes' and stack them to get the building part of the hut? how would I secure those so they didnt shift or move?

should I trust that on top of an 'island'? that is sitting on top of the sheet cake? which I fiqure will just be 2 layers of white cake.??

she hasnt told me cake flavor yet. I thought about asking about putting some pineapple between some of it, but wasnt sure... I dont use fruit or anything fancy like that. I am scared enough of the stability on my regular cakes. LOL wonder if you can make pineapple butter cream? LOL I fiqure just white cake.

5 replies
tastyart Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 6

Support it just like you would a tiered cake. If you stack the island as a tier and the hut on top of that as a tier, then drive the skewer or dowel to the bottom, you should not have any problems. That is only a three tier cake. I've moved those many times. HTH

chellescountrycakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 6

THANks!! icon_smile.gif I am headed to your blog now!! icon_smile.gif Thank you!! icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 6

I have a techinal question. the most 'layers' I've ever done were two.

and that was flat, sheet cake. SO- bear withme.

I take my cake, level it, put some frosting on top put the next layer on there, and put some frosting. I dont put dowells in each teir right? I only put dowells when I am adding another 'tier'... is that right??

so, to dowell a sheet cake with am 'island' on it, and a grass hut. I would only need the 5 or so to dowell the island to the sheet cake, then another 5 to dowell the hut to the island? then one all the way down the middle?

tastyart Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 6

Sounds like you are on the right track. When I make tiered cakes, I have two or three layers of cake in each tier. Each tier has it's own cake board. If your island and hut will be 6" in diameter or less, 5 support dowels could work great. If you go larger, use more dowels. I hope you'll send me pictures when you are done!

chellescountrycakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 6

Great!! THanks! icon_smile.gif and I'll be more than happy to send you pics, just give proper credit to me if someone see's it on cakewrecks and emails it to you too ... icon_wink.gif LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%