What Do You Use To Cover Your Cake Boards???

Decorating By DessertDreams Updated 6 May 2010 , 3:35am by dalis4joe

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 18

Most times I use the Wilton silver or gold foil paper but sometimes I like the board to be more festive and match with the cake theme. I started using wrapping paper in those cases but the moisture/oil from the cake causes the paper to stick to the bottom of the cake and sometimes you can see the moisture/oil absorbing into the paper. What do you all use???

17 replies
anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 18

At the moment I'm using the round half-inch foil cake drums for my cakes. I order them from a cake decorating supply company, it's much cheaper than purchasing them locally.

MMBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMBabycakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 18

@ anotherslice: Where do you purchase your drums? I've been looking for some at an affordable price. TIA

heatherscakes4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherscakes4u Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 18

I use floral paper for birthdays and smaller cakes- 12" round and smaller and the nicer foil drums for weddings and larger events.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 18

Contact paper every time. (Unless I use a marble tile for small cakes). You can cover in paper then clear contact paper over that. HTH thumbs_up.gif

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 18

I just made 3 boards out of foamboard (3) and covered in 12in black, blue scrapbook paper and the third I covered in white gift wrap paper (that I got at the Dollar Tree) and covered each of those with plastic food wrap. There has been other threads on this same topic and others have stated they've used fabric,gift wrap,etc and then covered in food grade cellophane wrap that you can get at places like Michael's.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 18

I use contact paper too...love the stuff.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 18

I couldn't find your instructions. icon_sad.gif

tastyart Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 18

Here is a direct link to that post.
http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2010/04/cake-boards.html
Hope that helps.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 18

I am always afraid the cake drums won't be strong enough for anything over 2 tiers, so my husband buys wood and makes my cake "stand" I cover them with fondant and even foil paper.. decorate the edges with ribbon and that's it for now, till I figure something else ..

Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

Here is a direct link to that post.
http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2010/04/cake-boards.html
Hope that helps.

Thanks. It's always nice to see what other people do.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 18

There are tons of threads on here stating that Contact Paper is not fod safe and if I'm not mistaken - it was even verified with the company who makes it.

Might want to look into that one further.

tastyart Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:58pm
post #13 of 18

As a matter of fact I have looked into that issue. The concern regarding chemical leaching from the contact paper is a valid one. I read at least part of the thread that you mentioned. If you feel strongly about the problem, by all means use a different material that you are comfortable with to cover your boards. My take on the situation is this: Phthalates are the chemical of concern for the vinyl used in contact paper. According to an article on webMD, "Phthalates are a group of chemical "plasticizers" that are used in a huge variety of consumer products, from PVC pipes to perfume. With billions of pounds produced annually, phthalates ("THAL-ates") are everywhere. They're even in the indoor dust we breathe. Random sampling by the CDC shows most people in the U.S. have detectable levels of phthalates in their bodies."
In our industrialized society it is virtually impossible to escape from these chemicals. Some researchers even believe that they are present in our food crops and livestock we eat due to the use of fertilizers and the like. If the contact paper is safe for lining our shelves that we place our dishes on, then it is probably no less safe for a cake board. I have also seen many people on TV cake shows use PVC pipe to build support structure for a cake. That is also not rated as "food-safe" by the FDA.

Hopefully that did not sound cranky(it was not meant that way). Basically, I don't have a problem with it. If you are concerned about it, don't use it.

*Edited to add - A good rinse of soap and water is probably a good idea as well.*

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 18

i like wrapping a drum in decorative paper and then contact paper like the previous posters suggested. just put a barrier between it and the cake (e.g. a cake board, freezer paper, etc), so the food isn't touching the contact paper.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 18

I use TONS of things for cake boards.

wallpaper w/ clear contact paper over it

scrapbooking paper w/ clear contact paper

wrapping paper w/ clear contact paper

printed contact paper

tissue paper w/ garage sale stickers (colored in with a sharpie marker) and clear contact paper over it.

marble tiles

ceramic tiles

you name it!!!

here are some examples!
LL
LL
LL
LL

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 18

For buttercream cakes I use fancy foil (I order it from CK Products), my fondant cakes get fondant covered boards and occaisonaly I've use royal icing to flood the board.

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:49am
post #17 of 18

The last few I've made I used a plastic tablecloth that matches what is being used at the party. Always a perfect match that way! icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #18 of 18

I use fondant... and wrapping paper covered with contact paper...as far as it not being food safe... the cake never touches the contact paper... I have a cake baord under all my cakes.... I "glue" the cake board to the cake drum with RI... now I like the other ideas I saw here... like tissue paper with stickers... scrapbooking paper...

really.... as long as u have a cake board.... the possibilities are endless....

I loooooovveee the one I think debi or leah got... it's a wood "slice" it's a tree trunk slab... looks amazing... but that you would need it sanded and then maybe put varnish on it... but they look incredible...

at a cake show... I saw a cake on the cutest foot stool ever... with a scarf around.... it just makes the cake "POP"...

I also add "feet" to my cake drums... so there is no trying to get ur fingers between the counter and your cake... you can just lift it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%