How Do I Use An Impression Mat?

Decorating By kelsiedelizzle Updated 5 May 2010 , 8:54pm by kelsiedelizzle

kelsiedelizzle Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a castle cake this weekend, and I've never used an impression mat before, so I'm hoping the results will not be disastrous.

The pattern is a cobblestone one, and it's this huge piece of plastic... so how do I use it? Do I "impress" before or after I put the fondant on the cake?

Also, do you have any techniques for adding more texture, like adding more color on top or anything?

And finally, will impression mats work with marshmallow fondant?

4 replies
MerlotCook Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 5

I use the impression mat with MMF all the time and it works perfectly! I roll my fondant out on my fondant board and then transfer it over to the impression mat (be sure it's dusted very well with either cornstarch or powdered sugar first- as it will stick terribly otherwise. I also roll my fondant a tad bit thicker so it won't rip once the impressions are done. If you try to imprint with the fondant on the cake you won't get much of an imprint and your cake will squash. Good luck!

kelsiedelizzle Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! Do you put the fondant on top of the mat then? Instead of putting the mat on top of the fondant?
And do you ever have any trouble with the pattern distorting once you put it on the cake?

MerlotCook Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 5

I believe you can do it either way. Usually I put the mat on top fo the fondant if it a large size and vice versa for small. I don't have a reason for that, though! I have never had a problem with the pattern distorting as long as the fondant isn't too thin.

kelsiedelizzle Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks again! I hope it goes as smoothly for me as it does for you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%