Scal Vs Mtc With Cricut Cake

Decorating By ctinaw Updated 6 May 2010 , 3:04pm by ctinaw

ctinaw Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 14

I apologize as I'm sure this has been asked before - and I can't ask it on the official circut forums for obvious reasons so -

I'm having trouble discovering what the actual differences are between these two programs. I'd like the one that is the most customizable if possible. IE: if I want to draw something up in adobe illustrator - is one of these going to be compatable with that somehow?

Not looking for easy - but which one I can get the most out of. Thanks!

13 replies
tiggy2 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 14

You can download trial versions of both and try them out to see which you like best.

Ivy383 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 14

I have scal and I like it... but i think I will like MTC more... I will download the trial now and check it out. They say MTC is more user friendly.

Omicake Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 14

Does anyone know if you can download the trial versions in a Mac computer?
Thanks in advance.

RetiredNavyChief Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 14

okay i know what the scal is but what does mtc stand for?

Ivy383 Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredNavyChief

okay i know what the scal is but what does mtc stand for?




Make The Cut (MTC) http://www.make-the-cut.com/
icon_smile.gif

Grinolly Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 14

I believe there is a Mac version for SCAL... but not for MTC...

I'm more geared towards getting the MTC (based on reviews alone), but they do not have a Mac version. So I should be settling for the SCAL. However, I'll be trying out the trial version first.

metria Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

I apologize as I'm sure this has been asked before - and I can't ask it on the official circut forums for obvious reasons so -

I'm having trouble discovering what the actual differences are between these two programs. I'd like the one that is the most customizable if possible. IE: if I want to draw something up in adobe illustrator - is one of these going to be compatable with that somehow?

Not looking for easy - but which one I can get the most out of. Thanks!




I found both programs to be very similar, and it's almost down to pick whatever you find easier to use. I have SCAL. Both can trace an image you make (e.g. in Illustrator). I'm not sure what image file formats either will take, but definitely each can trace a JPG.

Omicake Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks, Grinolly, for your answer.Ill try SCAL.

ctinaw Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy383

I have scal and I like it... but i think I will like MTC more... I will download the trial now and check it out. They say MTC is more user friendly.




What does more user friendly mean to you? I've heard that but not sure if my interpretation of that is the same as yours. User friendly to me means the program is more advanced and customizable. More user friendly to my mom would mean it's easier to use and doesn't involve or allow as much tinkering by the user.

ctinaw Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 14

So no opinions as to which is more advanced? Guess if there are trials I will just download and give it a try. Thanks!!

metria Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

So no opinions as to which is more advanced? Guess if there are trials I will just download and give it a try. Thanks!!




I honestly don't think one is significantly more advanced than the other. I'm used using Adobe Photoshop, so I felt more comfortable using SCAL.

Ivy383 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:07am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy383

I have scal and I like it... but i think I will like MTC more... I will download the trial now and check it out. They say MTC is more user friendly.



What does more user friendly mean to you? I've heard that but not sure if my interpretation of that is the same as yours. User friendly to me means the program is more advanced and customizable. More user friendly to my mom would mean it's easier to use and doesn't involve or allow as much tinkering by the user.




lol... your mom's meaning works for me... icon_biggrin.gif

ctinaw Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:04pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy383

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy383

I have scal and I like it... but i think I will like MTC more... I will download the trial now and check it out. They say MTC is more user friendly.



What does more user friendly mean to you? I've heard that but not sure if my interpretation of that is the same as yours. User friendly to me means the program is more advanced and customizable. More user friendly to my mom would mean it's easier to use and doesn't involve or allow as much tinkering by the user.



lol... your mom's meaning works for me... icon_biggrin.gif




lol ok Ivy - that helps icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%