Sinking Wasc

Baking By pastryjen Updated 10 May 2010 , 8:50pm by grandmabeasley

pastryjen Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 9

I made the WASC cake with BC devil's food and it has sunk in the middle.

I baked 9" square and 9" round at 275 degrees in my convection oven according to the manufactures recommendation.

Any ideas on what I should do next time?

Thanks

8 replies
rosiecast Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 9

When I make the WASC I usually bake at 325- not sure if that was the problem.

JodieF Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 9

WASC cakes will sink in the middle every time if you don't bake them long enough. They take much longer than a straight cake mix. A six in cake takes 45 minutes at 325 degrees.

Jodie

Karen421 Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 9

I gave up on my convention oven! I have two ovens, a convention and regular electric, when I used the convention oven to bake cakes (especially WASC - I think because of the sour cream) they tend to want to sink in the middle. In the regular oven at 325 they are fine. I am guessing, maybe it is because the convention bakes them faster?

Shalott Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #5 of 9

I hate making cakes in a convention oven! The only cakes I've ever made in convention ovens that turned out they way they were supposed to were huge sheet cakes.

Odyssey Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:50am
post #6 of 9

I tried WASC twice and both sank horribly before I even opened the oven. I found out the problem can also arise from old/not enough baking powder. I tried again with some extra baking powder and it worked beautifully.

Best of luck, I know it's hard to throw out cakes and rebake.

lardbutt Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #7 of 9

There are several variations out there, which one are you using? The one I've used doesn't even even call for baking powder.

BrightDelights Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:01am
post #8 of 9

I had the same trouble with the WASC and variations. I found that if I used 6 whole eggs, cake flour instead of AP and add a tablespoon of Baking Powder (for 2 mixes) I got much better results and no sinking. Bake at 325 with a flower nail and homemade bake even strips.

grandmabeasley Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 9

I tried baking the WASC cake using Pillsbury classic white cake mix. I used three cake mixes and adjusted all the other ingredients. I baked the cakes in two 9x13 pans at 325. My cakes sunk big time in the middle. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to prevent this from happening. I tried the cake nail in the middle also. I have had them sink a little when I used two cake mixes but nothing like today. Please Help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%