Just Starting Out

Baking By babypooh Updated 11 May 2010 , 1:06am by ALVARGA

babypooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babypooh Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 18

This might sound funny, but here I am over 50, wanting to do cookies. I have done a few and do them ok. For those of you who have done this for years, when you started out, how did you keep yourself motivated when you don't get orders, or you get cancellations.. Did you just do cookies and give them away.

17 replies
MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 18

You're never too old for cookies!

When I first started out, I was 16, so no one took me seriously. I brought free samples to my school and handed them out at the office and at the teacher's lounge, I did bake sales, flea markets, I bought a website... Basically anything I could I did. It was tough at first, but a few people were loyal customers from the get-go and they used word of mouth to get my name across.

I would send samples to corporate companies around my area to see if they wanted to use me for holiday gifts and things like that. You give away a lot, but it will pay off in the end. My motivation? "As long as you're fighting, you're winning."

babypooh Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

When I first started out, I was 16, so no one took me seriously. I brought free samples to my school and handed them out at the office and at the teacher's lounge, I did bake sales, flea markets, I bought a website... Basically anything I could I did. It was tough at first, but a few people were loyal customers from the get-go and they used word of mouth to get my name across.

I would send samples to corporate companies around my area to see if they wanted to use me for holiday gifts and things like that. You give away a lot, but it will pay off in the end. My motivation? "As long as you're fighting, you're winning."

Thank you mystiquefire....your cookies are beautiful...I don't have school events anymore, its kinda funny in a way to me. Ladies whats my market.(smile) I love this site by the way, its just hard to tell by the responses your ages, so I thought I would put my age out to see what can someone like myself do. I raised children and did a few cakes.

babypooh Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by babypooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

Thank you mystiquefire....your cookies are beautiful...I don't have school events anymore, its kinda funny in a way to me. Ladies whats my market.(smile) I love this site by the way, its just hard to tell by the responses your ages, so I thought I would put my age out to see what can someone like myself do. I raised children and did a few cakes.

Just wanted to mention, I loved raising my children, they kept me very busy ..I just didn't have the time then to do this. And now I have nothing but time and here I am. I would appreciate any input to help guide me right now.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 18

I started at 48, so go for it!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 18

I don't sell my cookies (it's not legal in my state to sell from a home kitchen), so I do just make them and give them away. Believe me, there will be absolutely no shortage of eager recipients!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 18

Hi BabyPooh, I'm 50, too! I'm not a professional baker, so I can't accept money. What I do is bake for family/friends/people at church in exchange for a check to my favorite charity. It actually keeps me pretty busy!!! And, it's a win/win/win situation -- the charity gets money, the people get their cookies AND a tax write-off, and I get to bake cookies!!! icon_smile.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #8 of 18

I just started this year doing cookies. Whenever I have down time I try out new designs and save them for my portfolio. It gives me a chance to see how long it takes me to do each one, do a photo shoot, and market test the design. Sometimes I make extras to take to people for networking and marketing.

Ima newbie, 25.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 18

I LOVE making cookies, but I rarely ever sell them. I make them because I like creating something pretty, and it serves as my "therapy"! My only problem is that I don't have near enough time to do as many cookies as I'd like to do! I can't give up my "day job", and there's no way I could support myself doing cookies. Sigh. It's a bummer! I envy you having the time, and would recommend you just dig in and start decorating. There are always places to take your cookies if you don't want to eat them all yourself. A church, hospital, nursing home, shelter, friends....SOMEONE will be thrilled to get those cookies.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I LOVE making cookies, but I rarely ever sell them.

I was just blown away by this, Gemini!!! Your cookies are SO awesome and detailed, I naturally assumed that you were selling them for big bucks. What did my fourth grade teacher used to say about not assuming . . . ? icon_wink.gif

babypooh Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:56pm
post #11 of 18

Ladies, thank you soooo much for your input. After writing on this forum I checked my e-mail messages, my daughter who is 14 (my oldest is 35) (smile) they are having a dinner for the track team...so as I was sitting here I thought " I should make cookies for them with their logo on it" so I did....what I really want to do and I am passionate about is a fundraiser for St. Jude hospital...they contacted me last year and I did not know what I could do to help them....so any suggestions in this area would be appreciated...I think you guys are the best!!!!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I LOVE making cookies, but I rarely ever sell them.

I was just blown away by this, Gemini!!! Your cookies are SO awesome and detailed, I naturally assumed that you were selling them for big bucks. What did my fourth grade teacher used to say about not assuming . . . ? icon_wink.gif

Well, aren't you the sweetest thing! Thanks so much for the compliment! I've found that people in my area simply don't want to pay for decorated cookies. Perhaps if I had a fancy shop.....a cupcake restaurant opened this last week, and they're selling a standard cupcake for $2.95. No special decoration except a pretty swirl of icing. Since it's considered "upscale", I guess people don't mind plunking down their money. Tell them it's going to be at least $2 for an intricately decorated 3" sugar cookie and they look at you like you've lost your mind!

babypooh Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 18

Thats why I can only do this for fun, people do look at you like you are crazy, how much time does it take to do a cupcake....and what I like about cookies as oppose to cupcakes, cookies last longer and you can ship them. I marvel at you guys who do this for a business, I just did 24 and I feel like I just worked 24 hours of hard labor...maybe I will oneday develop a system where it won't consume my whole day. I literally had to take a break.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:00pm
post #14 of 18

Babypooh, I'm 52. Started a couple of years ago, loved it so much that I kept doing it. Last year I found a commercial kitchen and got my license and I am selling cookies for $3.25 each.

After your "friends and relatives" get over the "sticker shock" you will be more comfortable with the price. They really are worth it because of the time. But if you don't start selling at the right price, you will have a hard time bumping it up. I don't sell a LOT but orders are picking up with word of mouth.

I market them as "event" cookies. You know like for showers and weddings etc.

Best of luck to you and it is NEVER too late to do what you LOVE.

babypooh Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #15 of 18

Echooo3 thank you for your encouragment. Thats, all I need to know that I'm not just the only one starting out at this age. Age is not a big deal, and if I'm loving to do this, it shouldn't matter. But it is good to know that I'm not alone. Thanks again. I will start posting pictures, as soon as I learn how it is done(smile).

babypooh Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:03am
post #16 of 18

Thank you each and everyone for your encouragement. And I look forward to reading and learning more from all of you truly gifted and gracious bakers.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 18

How's this for old. I am 65 and have been haunting CC for the last five years learning all I can about cakes and cookies. I made a living as an artist for 30 years and now I get to combine my love of baking and design by baking for others. I can take $20.00 worth of ingreds. and turn it into $75 for a church bakesale. I make for friends and relatives like all of you do and it is so rewarding. My favorite place to share my cookies is Camp Friendship which is a camp for severely disabled children. I never know my age unless I wake up with aches and pains, so I happily bake every day until the time comes that I can no longer do it. Thanks for sharing all your talents.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:06am
post #18 of 18

I had always wanted to learn how to decorate cookies but with 2 kids and a full time job I never seemd to have time. Until about 4 years ago when I decorated some cookies for a co-worker after taking a couple of cake decorating classes. It took off from there. I now live and breath cookies. I make cookies for friends and family and only ask for enough to cover supplies. I did wedding cookies for my son, 50th anniversary cookies for my inlaws, endless birthday cookies, valentine cookies for all my valentines, and probably the ones that everyone that knows me expects and that is Christmas cookies. You are never too old and I consider it therapy. I am 49...go for it!!!! PS.. My daughter inlaw is graduating from Medical school in a couple of weeks and I have a whole platter of graduation caps, caduceus (MD symbol), diplomas, and scrubs planned for her. I love it. The planning is as much fun as the actual baking and decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%