Black Piping On White Cake?

Decorating By christinacake Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 12:36am by Classycakes

christinacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinacake Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 16

I've not used black icing much because I don't like gray teeth. However, I've been asked to do a white bc cake with black piping designs. I have noticed that many black and white designs mentioned using royal icing for their piping. Is that because you can take off the icing and not eat it or is it to keep the design from bleeding? Any tips for doing this kind of cake would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

15 replies
jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 16

I had a bad experience with piping on a chilled cake with royal icing onto SMBC. The icing just ran down the cake. I think you'll probably be better off piping with buttercream on a buttercream cake

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 16

I honestly don't know why people use royal icing on a bc cake for piping. All I see is another icing recipe to make.

If the piping isn't that much, then I'm sure it'll be fine to leave on the cake. You might not like it, but the customer wants it. This past weekend the store I work at had to do a cake for a little girl that wanted her cake iced in black buttercream. I'm glad I didn't have to do it, someone else got the order, but I can't imagine being at that party.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 16

I have piped Black BC onto BC without any problems at all.

christinacake Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 16

To get a true black BC, does it take alot of color as I imagine it would?

christinacake Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 16

Do I need to start with chocolate BC, then add black??? Does black taste bad??

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 16

I've given up on making really black icing so I just buy the Wilton in a tube, squeeze it out into a bowl and thin it with some black piping gel. This way I can use it in whatever bag I choose and I have more control and less pain than with the tube. This works great for writing. I made a cake for practice this past weekend; I used royal icing to make lines like notebook paper, used a VIVA paper towel to lower it into the crusted buttercream and then did the writing. It worked great but after 3 days it started to 'bleed'. The cake was a moist devil's food. Sorry, that was probably too much information.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 16

You don't have to start with chocolate BC. I've done 2 cakes w/black piping -- a pink with peace signs and a white with music notes (both in my gallery). I just used Americolor Super Black and it tasted fine.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I honestly don't know why people use royal icing on a bc cake for piping. All I see is another icing recipe to make.

Me, too. I never use royal for anything cake related. BC for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

I have piped Black BC onto BC without any problems at all.

Same here. Key is to make sure your white bc base has crusted well so the colors don't bleed.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #10 of 16

I always start with chocolate bc and add the wilton paste color to make black icing. It takes a lot less icing color that way.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 16

You can start with Chocolate BC or I have started with just tinting the BC brown first, then add the Black. This way you don't use as much of the black and I don't see the typical "purpley blue" tint to it either.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 16

You shouldn't have any problem with bleeding if you make sure any handling of your cake after decorating does not cause condensation. If the cake gets any condensation or big temp changes then you may have bleeding problems.

wvfunchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wvfunchick Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 16

I need to pipe blacking icing on a white fondant cake. I'm not sure what to use... Buttercream or Royal Icing. I have to make this cake tomorrow... any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 16

I am so nervous when I have to pipe black on white because the black is not forgiving. I have found that a thin black royal icing works a bit better. If I do make a little boo-boo, then once the royal dries I can pick it off with less notice. I've even used a slightly damp paper towel to remove the black residue with good results. Buttercream black seems to be a lot harder to disguise if you make a little mistake.

Good luck with your cake!

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:25am
post #15 of 16

great thread! thanks everyone for the great info, this will really help me for a cake I'm doing at the end of this month.

White icing with red and black piped scrolls and swirls icon_smile.gif

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:36am
post #16 of 16

So sorry - should have read the OP's post more carefully. I just assumed it was a fondant covered cake.

Buttercream piping on buttercream, royal on fondant when you are piping in black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%