Wilton Color Mist On Dried Fondant???

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 6 May 2010 , 11:36am by sandy1

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 6

I made several fondant decorations and let them dry. I bought some black Wilton Color Mist and would like to know if I can spray the decorations without destroying them? Will it soften the fondant?
TIA,
Sandy

5 replies
CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be interested in knowing this too!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 6

I don't think it would as long as you don't douse them right away. If you wanted a dark black color, you could try multiple coats of spray. Spray a little, let it dry, spray a bit more, etc. You can always try it on a practice piece of fondant first too.

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, you need to spray lightly multiple times. It really turns out more gray than black. Very disappointing.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

I use the pearly spray (another brand) on fondant & gumpaste and don't run into any problems.
I have used Wilton's ONCE on BC...sprayed alright, lightly & from a distance. Too much in one area and it will run & pool.
I would suggest spraying your pieces lightly - in layers with drying time in between.

If you can do a test piece that would be best.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:36am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the replies. I sprayed the fondant pieces and they turned out fine, the only problem is the Wilton "black" color mist didn't color them a nice dark black, more like a dark gray.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%