Cake Order For Friday??!

Decorating By mrsc808 Updated 5 May 2010 , 8:36am by mrsc808

mrsc808 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:28am
post #1 of 6

Let me start by saying that I am a novice. Teaching myself and I just started a few months ago and I am going slowly. I make cakes and my husband takes them to his customer's office and they get to eat everything.

My hubs calls me at noon today to tell me that one of the people in the office wants a cake for this Friday, and he already said I'd do it. First I want to scream. My FT job is super busy for the next 2 weeks but he says she wants that cake that I just did. Fine. I can do that.
I email her to clarify (and also to explain that I use premium ingredients so my cost may be more than she expects - to give both of us an out,) and now she wants 2 tiers, in blue, with an Alice in Wonderland theme. Um, WHAT??? icon_eek.gif
Oh, and she needs the cake on Friday and the party is at 6. In the opposite direction that I live in, heading into weekend traffic where, on a good day, it will take 45 minutes to get to.
You've got to be kidding me. I don't think I can do this.

5 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:58am
post #2 of 6

Can you bake on Wednesday, fill and crumb coat, then that will give you Thursday to decorate? I would make her pick the cake up or meet you half way at least.

mrsc808 Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:20am
post #3 of 6

I'll email her again. Maybe she'll balk at the price? Unless I'm using the cake matrix wrong, which I probably am, a square 6 & 8" tier, using my recipe and costs (all scratch), should run $120. Higher cost of shopping in Hawaii will get you every time and while my husband may know her, it's not very well and I sure don't know her so I don't she qualifies for any sort of discount.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:59am
post #4 of 6

If you're just really not thinking you will have time... I would just be honest with her and say look, my husband said I could do this without talking to me, and I've tried to work it out, but with my job being so busy right now, I just can't squeeze it in. You'll feel a lot better if you're not having to kill yourself to get it done.

brincess_b Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:21am
post #5 of 6

how about 1 word - no.
if you do it, think about adding a short notice request charge, and delivery charge. sounds like it would be tricky for you to fit in, so you need to make it worth the stress.
xx

mrsc808 Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:36am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the advice! I emailed her again to let her that my understanding was different from what she wanted, then offered something simple - 2 tier, blue fondant w/white diamonds on the bottom, and red hearts at the top and told her due to the short notice I really couldn't offer anything else. I then quoted her 2 prices - one for the 6 & 8", and another for a 4 & 6". My husband said to stay firm on the price because I would be doing her a favor, not the other way around so I will wait and see what she says. It was hard to stay firm on the price, especially when a I quoted an great deal on 300 cookies today and was told she would have to think about it, but my husband is right. How often can I say that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%