Problems, Need To Modify My Idea - Please Help!!!

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 8 May 2010 , 3:23pm by maggiev777

maggiev777 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 12

Im having a serious problem with the scale of my decorations on this cake Its for a bridal shower at my church. We have had several bridal showers in the last couple of years so I was struggling to come up with any new ideas. The idea I came up with was to have a cake covered with green fondant, put a white picket fence around the sides, make a little cottage to put on top and a little figure of the bride-to-be being carried to the house by the groom-to-be. I thought it would look cute they are beginning their lives together, you know?

So the problem is the cake is 12 round (actually petal pan) and 4 high. The picket fence looked strange if it wasnt taller than halfway up the side of the cake, so I made it 2.5 tall. Well then I figured since it is a picket fence, my figures need to be about 5 tall! Which means the house has to be like 8 tall at the peak of the roof!!!!!! ACK!!! That will end up ridiculously huge on this little cake.

Also, when I made my figures, I couldnt get them to work with the groom carrying the bride, so instead they are just standing beside each other holding hands.

Sooooo I need a new idea!! And quickly! The shower is on Thursday night! I already applied the fence to the cake, and I already made my figures. What else could I put on top of the cake with them instead of a house?

Im attaching some pics so you guys can see the problem. First is my vision. Second is the reality (although the reality pic prob underestimates the huge size of the house). Third is a pic of my figures (I haven't added hair yet, but I will!), So, scratch the house. What else can my figures be doing?

Please give me ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

11 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 12

How about just an awning over them? With some flowers and greenery weaved into it?

candicemorgannicholson Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #3 of 12

ok so this might sound stupid but on ace of cakes they are putting more backgrounds scenes on cakes. They just did a firetruck guy proposing and on the back of the cake actually built a back drop. I could find a picture of that exact cake but I have attached a cake of theirs with a back drop. Maybe you could youtube the episode with the fire truck proposal where the guy forgot the ring. Anyways back to your cake. Maybe you could have like a sunset back drop and them walking maybe from it with pretty flowers and stuff? Maybe even make a fondant or gumpaste chapel in the background? I am not sure but I hope this helps.

cheatize Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 12

A decorated arch might work.

tesso Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #5 of 12
Originally Posted by cheatize

A decorated arch might work.

that was the first thing i thought of.. then i thought maybe a gazebo.

Chasey Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 12

I was thinking a wishing well......

maggiev777 Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks so much for the ideas! I'm thinking an arch might be the way to go... easier than a gazebo or well, and seems "weddingy" enough...

I'm so bummed my house idea didn't work. But an arch will definitely look better, I think. Thanks again for the ideas!!

dalis4joe Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 12

I like the wishing well idea..... good luck... btw... awesome modeling skills!!!

Carla9900 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 12

I would agree with the gazebo as well, or even an archway with maybe a bench under it that reads....our journey begins.

Great job with your characters!

rosiecast Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 12

Love your work so far. And the ideas sound great.

Just wanted to remind you not to forget to paint their wedding rings on. lol

Joybeth Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 12

I really like the backdrop could just put green fondant like rolling hills and then a flat fondant "house" Just make it look far away and have the path come out 3-d. Make sense?

maggiev777 Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks again for your help, everyone! I ended up going with the arch. It worked out very nicely, I think. I just posted pics in my gallery if you want to see it!!

Thanks again for the help - y'all are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%