I'm Not One To Gossip, But...lol!

Lounge By Tita9499 Updated 11 May 2010 , 5:37am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 23

Okay, I just have a question. Really a statement, and it's been bugging me because I've seen an epidemic here on CC lately relating to it.

If your cake consists of 90% of someone else's cake design, you should give credit to the person who did it first. Now, I know some of us (I said "US"), take a little from here and little from there. If we take more than half (I would say) of someone else's design, we naturally give credit, IF we know the originator of the design. If not we give a courtesy shout out to "that person on CC". SOMETHING.

I just saw a cake in the "Most Saved" section that has over a hundred favorites, but it was totally ripped off from someone else on CC and the former gave no credit at all.

22 replies
Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakainrop

'Yawn'

No offense, but was it really necessary to post something like that? The OP was just stating their opinion. Yes it has been discussed before, but some people are not on the site every single day, or are new here. This is not the first time I`ve seen rude comments from you either.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #3 of 23

I saw a cake on here a few days ago that resembled my tombstone cake, that I made for my sisters birthday. It didnt bother me.

personally I go out of my way to make sure that I let the person know I plan on using their design, and am honored when they are nice enough to encourage me to use it, or even offer help to achieve the look. But that is just me, i think it is flattering if someone likes my cakes enough to try and copy it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:48am
post #4 of 23

I've noticed quite a few cakes that make the "most saved" that are almost complete replicas of the origional designers. I'd be thrilled if someone wanted to copy one of my cakes but I ain't holdin' my breath icon_lol.gif .

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:54am
post #5 of 23

I honestly feel that if someone is offended by not receiving recognition for having been the inspiration for another decorator's cake, then that "someone" shouldn't post photos of their work on public websites.

I look at thousands of cakes every year and sometimes cake recipients e-mail me photos from unknown sources. I have a very picture oriented memory, so this means that I could easily decide to make a cake that someone would believe they had inspired--and I wouldn't even know it. I think it would be pretty unfair to label me a bad guy in such a case, but apparently there are those who would feel quite justified in doing just that.

Giving credit where credit is due is, in my opinion, nice but not necessary. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery--and no, I don't know where that quote comes from..................... icon_twisted.gif

Rae

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I've noticed quite a few cakes that make the "most saved" that are almost complete replicas of the origional designers. I'd be thrilled if someone wanted to copy one of my cakes but I ain't holdin' my breath icon_lol.gif .

Oh good, because the first customer I get that wants a stacked cake for a little girls birthday or a high maintenance woman and doesn't care about the design is getting that zebra striped cake of yours with the pink bow...........I LOVE IT!!!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 23

Hahaha Tina you're too much. there you go Mamawrobin, Tina's making your dream come true. lol

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 23

Tina, coming from YOU that's quite a compliment icon_lol.gif . I'm sure that your cake will be way better than mine but I'd be thrilled that you used mine for your inspiration. I have so many of yours saved in my favorites that I've lost count. Your work is beautiful. What you can do with a sheet cake is amazing. thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 23

Come on now...
You've been here long enough to know how a thread like this will turn out.

Stolen cake pictures, not giving credit, Stevie Famulari, Martha Stewart, cake mix versus scratch...

They always turn out nasty.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 23

IF the person actually took the design and made it look just like it, or close enough to question, sure, I agree (and I have done: see the red, white, and blue cake in my photos).

But can you prove that out of the THOUSANDS of members here, that two people couldn't possibly come up with the same or very similar design?

I'm just sayin'.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 23

What's wrong with giving credit if you copied someone's cake? I agree with Tita, if you copy a design and you know it, then give credit. It's called common courtesy.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

But can you prove that out of the THOUSANDS of members here, that two people couldn't possibly come up with the same or very similar design?

So very true. My husband does stand up comedy and more than once he's come downstairs to run a new bit past me. I'd listen and when he was done I'd tell him, "Yeah it's funny. But it was funnier when Seinfeld (or Foxworthy) did it." Hubby would go into shock because ".....no way they already did that! I just spent 2 hours writing it!"

Sorry, toots! They've already been there ... done that! icon_razz.gif

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #13 of 23

I try to give credit when possible, but often, customers just send me a photo via email, and I have no idea where the design originated.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:18am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

I try to give credit when possible, but often, customers just send me a photo via email, and I have no idea where the design originated.

Been there, too! Didn't find out until weeks after the wedding that one cake I did was a Colette Peters cake!

Tita9499 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakainrop

'Yawn'

No offense, but was it really necessary to post something like that? The OP was just stating their opinion. Yes it has been discussed before, but some people are not on the site every single day, or are new here. This is not the first time I`ve seen rude comments from you either.

Polarcakes: Some people just need attention. I pay them no mind.

Tita9499 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

IF the person actually took the design and made it look just like it, or close enough to question, sure, I agree (and I have done: see the red, white, and blue cake in my photos).

I'm just sayin'.

With this particular cake, yes. Yes, I can. EXACTLY the same (maybe different flavor), but my doing so by posting would be starting some drama that is not necessary.

I totally get not knowing who to give credit to, but "coming" up with a design that just so happens to be the very same as what someone else "came up with"? I don't know.

Now, I am willing to venture that they could've both saw the same cake in a book, but then I still feel they should both give credit where credit is due.

Tita9499 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #17 of 23

[quote="7yyrt"]Come on now...

Stolen cake pictures, not giving credit, Stevie Famulari...

quote]

Who in the world argues about Stevie Famulari? That's just silly. icon_lol.gif

I don't know how it will turn out, to be quite honest with you. Of course someone's gonna pitch a fit that I'm talking about this. Someone always has to make things more dramatic than what they really are, but thats okay with me.

This is my point: if you know that you are taking a design or using a design that someone else came up with give them credit. If you don't know where the original design came from, I'm not saying anyone should go out of their way to find out who's design it is to give them credit. Along those same lines, does it hurt for you to say, "A customer requested this cake and I based my design off of a picture I saw here"...you didn't design it, so why is that a hard thing to do. If you saw a concept and tweeked it and made it your own, no need to give credit.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #18 of 23

[quote="Tita9499"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Come on now...

Stolen cake pictures, not giving credit, Stevie Famulari...

quote]

Who in the world argues about Stevie Famulari? That's just silly. icon_lol.gif

Sorry I just had to laugh. That woman is just weird with a capital W. lol

Tita9499 Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:21pm
post #19 of 23

I think she's on the Challenges for the "wow factor" she brings. Not "wow" like, "Wow! That's some amazing work!". No, more like, "Wow, it's like a gory accident and I can't look away". But, like I said. I'm not one to gossip. LOL!

costumeczar Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 23

Hahaha, I love Stevie! She's not a cake decorator, though, and she doesn't say that she is one.

The worst design-stealing I've seen is when people enter cake shows with copies of other people's cakes. I mean total copies, nothing original. I think that's pretty pathetic.

Tita9499 Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Hahaha, I love Stevie! She's not a cake decorator, though, and she doesn't say that she is one.

The worst design-stealing I've seen is when peope enter cake shows with copies of other people's cakes. I mean total copies, nothing original. I think that's pretty pathetic.

WHA!!?!?!?!? icon_eek.gif No way someone would do that! How bonkers do you have to be and why aren't there rules against that? Wait, there probably are rules...if I found out someone stole my design and didn't give me credit, I might have to take a trip, knock on their door and ask for my winnings. LOL!

costumeczar Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #22 of 23

The cake-show thing has totally been done...I've also seen pictures in cake magazines of designs that were done by decorators who were well-known, then somebody else made the same cake and sent a photo to the magazine. I always thought that was pretty cheap, too. I'd assume that if someone did it at a show they'd be disqualified depending on what the category was, though. If I recognized the cake design then there must be a judge who did, too.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:37am
post #23 of 23

Personally I think it's nice to give recognition to the original designer if you totally copy their cake to a T. I'm not that good yet LOL... I can look at a cake and try to copy it, but for some reason mine never look anything like what I'm trying to copy icon_confused.gif
I'm like Robin here, if someone copied my cake I would probably fall out in the floor from shock! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%