Can You Cut Paper With The Cricut Cake?

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 17 Dec 2011 , 9:27pm by cheatize

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:45am
post #1 of 25

OK, I am not interested unleashing a huge debate about food safety, but I am wondering if the Cricut cake would cut paper as well as fondant / gumpaste. I am considering buying a machine, totally worth it for not having to spend hours with the Tappits spelling out sentiments. But I can also see myself wanting to do things like cut out cupcake wrappers out of paper. Would the blade cut paper?

24 replies
Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 25

Food safety issue aside, I would bet the Cake can cut paper. It is just like the Expression except for a few details. I think paper might dull the blade for cutting food items.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:40am
post #3 of 25

Not trying to debate either...
if you want to cut paper why not save yourself some money and just buy the Expression.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 25

The blog on Cutting Edge Cake Art that compared the Cake and Expression side by side found that it would cut paper, but only did well when they changed the blade from the cake blade to the deep cut blade.

BakingGirl Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #5 of 25

CakesbyCathy, I want to mainly use it for fondant so that is why I thought the Cake version would be better - more seals to stop fondant bits getting into the machinery.

cs_confections, does that mean you can have two blades and use one for fondant and one for paper?

I am still trying to get my head around the features of the Cricut, I have never actually seen one in action so I have to rely on websites and YouTube. I do know if it means being able to never use a Tappit cutter again it will be worth it!

cs_confections Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 25

Baking Girl - my thinking was the same - I'd mainly be using it for fondant and liked that bits couldn't get stuck anywhere and the blog said that the cake blade didn't clog like using the deep cut blade on Expression does.

The paper I would use would be for cupcake liners. Yes, you can use the deep cut blade on the Cake to cut paper - you can't, however, use the Cake blade on the Expression. The housings are slightly different, so while the Cake model will fit both, the Expression can't.

Here's the link to the blog I mentioned. http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php#03012010

They did a three part series comparing the two machines side by side and this is what helped me decide to pay the slightly higher cost of the Cake model.

Considering I paid $300 for it, shipping included, it doesn't seem all that much more than buying the expression, having to buy the deep blades (though I did buy one to be able to cut paper-but it's not a "have to"), and the hassle of having to modify the machine and mats.

BakingGirl Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #7 of 25

cs_confections, I have read through the blog you linked to, and it is just the information I needed. Perfect. So now I am ready to shop! One Cake Cricut and a deep blade for paper. Just out of curiousity, how on earth did you get your Cake Cricut for only $300? The cheapest I have seen so far has been $299 on Amazon from JoAnne's, but shipping is on top so brings it up to $322.95.

cs_confections Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #8 of 25

I had preordered it in February from Cut n Crop. They had it on sale and there was an extra $50 off coupon for preorders (that's now expired). I don't have it yet, but did just receive an email today showing that it's shipped. I hope to have it set up in time -and figured out!- to use for my nephew's bday cake next week. $322 still seems like a good deal. Does it not qualify for the free shipping that Amazon does? Also, Costco has it online for $299 shipping included.

BakingGirl Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #9 of 25

Since the machine ships from JoAnne though Amazon you don't get the free 2 day shipping unfortunately. I ordered the deep cut blade and that ships from Amazon so did not pay shipping on that. I have just placed my order, very excited now! Thanks so much for your help!

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:58am
post #10 of 25

Costco.com has the cake cricut for 299.99 and that includes shipping and handling! icon_lol.gif I think this price is only until the end of the month. I too am debating whether or not to get it. I like the idea of being able to use it for paper and fondant.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:45am
post #11 of 25

It does indeed cut paper. You'll need to buy the 12x12 mat (it's sticky) for the expression. They come in sets of two for about $12. You'll also need the deep cut blade housing - it comes with a blade. I tested this the other day and it works great.

Since you're using an entirely different blade, blade housing and mat - I can't see any room for alarm.

Olivia02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olivia02 Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:17am
post #12 of 25

Does anyone know if you can use the cricut cake with the software found online. I forgot what it is called, but its the website you can hook up to the cricut and download fonts, pics, patterns, etc. usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

cstinson496 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cstinson496 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 25

I just bought my cricut cake on ebay for 100 bucks and thats brand new in a sealed package with 4 cartridges and all the beginner stuff that typically comes with it. I have also done research on this topic and found that most have said you can cut paper with it, you just need a cricut sticky mat for the paper and the deep cutting blade for it to work. i dont know about you but i cant afford both machines, and I love ebay for cake supplies in general.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

OK, I am not interested unleashing a huge debate about food safety, but I am wondering if the cake would cut paper as well as fondant / gumpaste. I am considering buying a machine, totally worth it for not having to spend hours with the Tappits spelling out sentiments. But I can also see myself wanting to do things like cut out cupcake wrappers out of paper. Would the blade cut paper?

It does it pretty well with the deep blade housing and sticky mat icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:11am
post #15 of 25

I tried it with construction paper and it stuck to the mat so badly that I had to scrape and scrub it off.

swtness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtness Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 1:23am
post #16 of 25

on Costco right now you can get it for $59.99 shippedicon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 9:04am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I tried it with construction paper and it stuck to the mat so badly that I had to scrape and scrub it off.

Oh no that's not great, I have to say I used a reasonably thin card for making cup cake wrappers and those mats are v. v. sticky!!!! is a bit of a to-do to get it off at times

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:18pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:

If you're going to use paper on the mats you need to use scrap book paper so it peels off.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 1:36pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:

If you're going to use paper on the mats you need to use scrap book paper so it peels off.

thanks for the tip icon_smile.gif on another note but with cricut does anyone have any links to any good cupcake wrappers for new years cupcakes.. was trying to find some with 2012 on or stars but no luck so far... thank you

cheatize Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:30am
post #20 of 25

Thanks for the advice about scrapbook paper. My one try at it scared me so bad I haven't tried since. lol

I guess cardstock is out, too, then?

Honeybees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeybees Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:46am
post #21 of 25

I have not used my cricut cake in sooooo long.. I think Ive actually only used it once before. I was thinking about selling it until I stumbled across this topic. After reading what all you great people wrote I went out and got the deep cut blade/housing and a paper mat thingie and tested it out.
It worked perfectly! Im now going to use my cricut cake to make custom boxes for cupcakes etc.
I'm finally going to get some use out of the machine. Thanks everyone

Oh if you do decide to try out cutting paper on it i recommend getting the spatula thing to help peel the paper off the mat. (sorry I don't know what all the tools are called)

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:33am
post #22 of 25
Quote:

Thanks for the advice about scrapbook paper. My one try at it scared me so bad I haven't tried since. lol

I guess cardstock is out, too, then?

no, you can use any paper. For the thinner papers just use a less-sticky mat. (Press a new mat to your clothes a few times so it picks up some lint and becomes less sticky) I have an older mat that works great for computer paper and even some construction papers and then I use a newer mat for thicker cardstocks. Also, if you clean your mat after each use (I use baby wipes) you'll get more use out of them.

cheatize Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:47am
post #23 of 25

Sweet! I wondered if the mat was too new and thus extra sticky. Thanks, Marla84!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 8:20pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks for all the info, I was wondering if I can use it on paper as well!
Knowing that it's a yes... Wohoo I DID get an awesome deal $49.99 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 9:27pm
post #25 of 25

I did it! I did it! Some of the time, anyway. Thanks for the tip about baby wipes and wiping the mat on your shirt. I wiped it on my couch which has a deeper nap and now the paper peels off about half the time.

Now if I could only figure out the feature keys on the Everyday Paper Dolls cartridge. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%