Using My Airbrush For The First Time...

Decorating By MystiqueFire Updated 7 May 2010 , 3:51am by Ivy383

MystiqueFire Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #1 of 13

I tried searching this but for some reason the search isn't working on my computer, and I didn't see anything on the other forums.

Just wanted to know if you're supposed to dilute the fluid?
And if you wanted to use lustre dust in it, how does that work?

Thanks guys!

Jasmine

12 replies
Ivy383 Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 13

I asked the same questions here http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6803695-.html#6803695 and got some replies. I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

MystiqueFire Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 13

So regarding that thread, you DONT dilute liquid americolor airbrush colors...?

But can you mix luster dust in there?

Sorry for being a pain, I just dont want to break it the first time I use it!

Jenn2179 Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 13

Don't dilute the airbrush color. You can add luster to the color if you want. Shoot for a skim milk consistancy. Or use the air brush color first and then mix the luster with vodka again to skim milk consistency and spray on top of the color. You won't break the airbrush but you may clog it. I will tell you learn how to take that bad boy apart and put it back together because you will be doing it in the future. What brand do you have?

MystiqueFire Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 13

Ahhh, ok, see I got nervous when I saw "clogging" in the other thread, but I guess it's inevitable, right?

I have a TC60 and I forget the name of the actual airbrush. It was a gift for christmas last year, and I just haven't used it until now.

Ivy383 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 13

Clogging? Taking apart? Oh no!!!!! lol... I don't kmow if I am ready for that mess. I got my machine last week and I have not used it yet. I hope theres a video on youtube or sonmethig I can watch.... icon_cry.gif I have a Master Airbrush G23.

Ivy383 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 13

I found this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcPYlO3TYqo&NR=1&feature=fvwp It's not for food airbrushing, but it covers the basics of cleaning, changing colors and taking it apart. *I would not use windex* I was thinking more in the lines of warm water and a tiny amount of soap to clean it. Plain water in between color change?

tigerhawk83 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 13

Ivy - I have the same airbrush as you. It comes apart pretty easily and I just washed it with regular dishsoap and water - rinsed a lot. The best advice I read is be gently re-inserting the needle - if you bend the tip it affects your spray. If you are using multiple colors you just have to rinse it between colors. I hold it in the sink, run water in the cup and spray until only clean water comes out the nozzle - then on to the next color.

There is a good cake airbrushing video from Wilton on YouTube

Ivy383 Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk83

Ivy - I have the same airbrush as you. It comes apart pretty easily and I just washed it with regular dishsoap and water - rinsed a lot. The best advice I read is be gently re-inserting the needle - if you bend the tip it affects your spray. If you are using multiple colors you just have to rinse it between colors. I hold it in the sink, run water in the cup and spray until only clean water comes out the nozzle - then on to the next color.

There is a good cake airbrushing video from Wilton on YouTube

Thank you very much icon_biggrin.gif Have you tried using the luster dust and vodka mix with your airbrush? If yes, did it work?

tigerhawk83 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Have you tried using the luster dust and vodka mix with your airbrush? If yes, did it work?

Have not tried that yet. But I have diluted regular gel colors like Wilton with vodka to use in the airbrush - I don't have a lot of Amerimist colors yet (I have to order anything other than Wilton online), and that worked fine.

tesso Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #11 of 13

sweet and simple:

1. use amerimist colors only in airbrush. not gel. or it will be clog city.

2. when using luster dust: 1. thin it down ALOT with everclear or vodka. 2. you have to have a MINIMUM of 30 PSI to force luster dust out of airbrush without clogging it. I prefer 35 PSI, to be on the safe side.

3. Cleaning: I use water to clean only. Once it sprays clear. I use Everclear and run it through airbrush to dry out the needle. it sanitized and dries in one. DO NOT use any type of soap to clean it.

A helpful hint: If you are afraid of clogging, or dont have enough PSI for your airbrush, buy a spray bottle and mix luster dust/vodka in it. And use bottle to spray your luster dust. thumbs_up.gif

edited to add. the G23 airbrush CAN handle luster dust if PSI is right. icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif happy airbrushing.

ddaigle Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #12 of 13

I airbrush constantly with luster dust and get clogs often. I do not take it apart, but back flush the system. Put a small amount of water or cleaner in the bowl, hold your finger over the spray hole and push down the button. You will see the liquid bubbling up in the bowl. Luster dust will clog --often. I back flush with airbrush cleaner after each use to prevent luster dust particles from drying in it.

Ivy383 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #13 of 13

Yay! I finally used my airbrush today for the first time. I made these cupcakes for work tomorrow.

*tesso* What is PSI?
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%