Ribbon On Cake

Decorating By cakebaker3 Updated 7 May 2010 , 2:11am by DanishPastry

cakebaker3 Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 5

can anyone tell me what kind of ribbon I need to buy to put on a wedding cake that is buttercream? I need to have it approx. 1 to 2 inches on the lower edge of each layer. I do not want the color to run on the buttercream. Also do I use ribbon with wire? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

4 replies
sari66 Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #2 of 5

Use whatever type like. Just use a crusting buttercream that has setup. I personally don't like the ribbon with wire but that's just me

terrylee Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:35am
post #3 of 5

First Welcome to CC......you will love it here.........I agree....no wires.....the colors won't run but you may get some seeping from the buttercream if it is not crusted enough...you can back your ribbons with waxed paper or even another ribbon. Attach in the back or under a flower to hid the connections. I have a silver wedding cake in my photos that was pastry pride....I backed the silver ribbon with a silver mesh ribbon. Second page 4/5 rows down.

mamawrobin Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:18am
post #4 of 5

Another vote for wireless ribbon thumbs_up.gif I cut wax paper to the exact size of my ribbon so that the ribbon doesn't touch the cake so there's no greasy spots on the ribbon. Plus, only fondant ribbon is truly food safe.

DanishPastry Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:11am
post #5 of 5

For my daughter's wedding cake, I used 2 layers of ribbon - a sparkly silver sheer ribbon that was wired, but I pulled the wires out - with a narrower satin ribbon hot glued down the middle. I used crusting buttercream and had no grease stains on the ribbon or color transfer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%