Calling All You Great Designers...

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 5 May 2010 , 9:21pm by bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 10

I just got a commission for a bridal reception cake at the beginning of September and the gal who is ordering it told me that the bride and groom are "rock stars" (he's in a band and they have guitars on the walls of their house) etc. She wants a cake with black and pink and very musical/rock star-ish. Basically I have free reign on the design. Sooooo, how would y'all design a commission like that?

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 10

I can't believe that ya don't have ideas flooding in icon_surprised.gif I don't have one myself but I'm anxious to see what you come up with. This should be a fun cake.

Shan8789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shan8789 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 10

I think depending on how many tiers you are going to use makes a difference, but you can search "rock star cake" and it will give you some ideas. I think maybe a diamond pattern around one tier, vertical lines with alternating colors and one with some stars on it would be "rock star-ish." A little gum paste guitar topper would be cute too. Hope that helps!

iamelms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamelms Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 10

maybe you could find out what kinds of guitars they have on their walls and do a tier with little fondant guitars around the sides. good luck!! icon_smile.gif

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 10

For me, I would do at least 3 layers. The bottom layer would be square. I would make it look like it is an audience at a concert. Silhouettes of people made of fondant.

The second layer would probably look like a stage of some sort. Probably round with what looks like amps sticking out of it. These could be made of fondant. Lights between the amps for affect.

The top layer would be a star shape and would have the Bride and Groom dressed in wedding attire playing their guitars. I would have starts on wires sprouting from all around as well.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 10

Hi Bob! If you wanted to go with something less gimmicky, you could do music scores around the tiers and maybe a his/her guitars as the topper, you know, hers with a veil and his with a bow tie.

I found this online and think it would be beautiful on a cake. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.icefyrecreations.co.nz/images/IMG_2097.JPG

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 10

Along the lines of the above "less gimicky" thing...maybe make one of the layers extra tall and give it the hourglass shape of a guitar without necessarily making a guitar.

Krysten3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krysten3 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

Hi Bob! If you wanted to go with something less gimmicky, you could do music scores around the tiers and maybe a his/her guitars as the topper, you know, hers with a veil and his with a bow tie.

I found this online and think it would be beautiful on a cake. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.icefyrecreations.co.nz/images/IMG_2097.JPG

To go along with the music scores, just an idea, you could get the sheet music of their wedding song and copy the notes onto the scores on the cake, that would be really personal I think. But it leans more to the softer side of the rock star theme and not sure if that's what you want. HTH icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 10

Clarification: What I meant by "less gimmicky" is that we have to remember, it's still a wedding, not a "kegger."

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 10

Oh you guys are awesome!!! Eisskween that's a great idea and an incredible musical staff image!! I may use that on other cakes as well! icon_biggrin.gif CHoxiev I love that three tiered concert idea!! thumbs_up.gif

At this point I have no idea how many people we are feeding, and they are doing cupcakes for the actual wedding so I'm only doing the rehearsal dinner (I just reread my original post and I mistyped it -- I'm not doing the reception dinner, it's the rehearsal dinner -- sorry for the confusion) which is why I get free reign on the design. The brides colors are black, gun-silver (?) (a very dark silver) and plum. But the maid of honor who is buying this cake said the bride has decorated her entire house in fushia and black and all her clothes are fushia and black, which is where they got the color scheme from. (If you look in my pix, Megan's wedding cake and the Tiffany box cake -- those were made for my friend Megan who is the maid of honor at this wedding.)

It's funny, I have a friend who did an actual rock-star wedding once upon a time (the marriage lasted I believe all of four months) icon_confused.gif and in that cake the brides colors were -- fushia and black!! She did a lot of black lacy draping and fushia accents but I don't want to recreate that cake either.

So keep those ideas coming!! I do appreciate it!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%