Wilton Gum Paste Problems

Decorating By BlackSheepCakes Updated 6 May 2010 , 3:51pm by mamawrobin

BlackSheepCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackSheepCakes Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 11

I JUST bought a Wilton Gum paste package from the local Wal-mart. When I opened it to use it, it was plyable, but very very dry. I've added crisco to it, microwaved it, kneaded it..etc. But its still crumbly and not smooth at all. Is there another way I can salvage this?

I dont have the receipt any more, so I cant take it back. Is there anything I can do, or should I just make my own, and start over? icon_mad.gif

10 replies
casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:20am
post #2 of 11

If adding the crisco did not work I don't know what else to tell you. Whenever I buy wiltons I always make sure it is very soft to the feel in the entire bag before buying for exactly the reason you are stating. I have never had any luck putting it in the microwave and still having it work properly. You probably could try taking it back without the receipt and telling them it was too dry and see if they will just give you an even exchange. Sorry.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #3 of 11

I think I had the same problem when I tried wilton's premade gumpaste...I ended up not using it and switched to the gumpaste mix (much softer and a few dollars cheaper!).

Sorry if that's not much help!

BlackSheepCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackSheepCakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:43am
post #4 of 11

I just wound up making homemade gum paste. I gave the screwy Wilton paste to my son, so he could help me make flowers, and I told him that this was play-doh he could eat!

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:55am
post #5 of 11

I bought one bag that was 1/4 hard as a rock. So now if I have to buy it I try to feel the entire bag first.

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #6 of 11

i dont know what else you could do, but i actually like to make my own gum paste with the wilton recipe, its easy and cheaper.

1 tbls. gum tex
1 lb. powder sugar
4 tbls. warm water
1 tbls. heapin glucose

mix 3/4 lb. of p.sugar and gum tex
in a double boiler add the water and glucose until is all mixed up and pour in sugar mixture, mix very well and wrap it in plastic wrap. let it rest for 8 hours and than kead in the rest of the sugar until pliable. works perfectly for me.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:11am
post #7 of 11

I've never had a problem with Wilton pre made gumpaste. I do feel of the bag before I buy. Some of them feel rock hard. I don't know if some of the bags get pin holes in them during shipping or what. I just bought some the other day at Wal-Mart and they had about 8 bags on the shelf. They were all soft to the touch. Yes, I felt of everyone of them icon_lol.gif .

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:53am
post #8 of 11

I've had the same problem and I too feel the bag before buying it. It is best to remove any hard corners or ends before trying to knead it because the hard pieces never incorporate back into the gumpaste. All you can do now is try to pick out the hard pieces or just throw it away and get another one.

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:25am
post #9 of 11

I used Wiltons at first then tried to make my own but it did not turn out so I started to use Satin Ice Gumpaste and it is very good ! Also I will try again to make some but it will be a different recipe from a very good source.. But any pre made will be Satin Ice.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadfairy2003

I used Wiltons at first then tried to make my own but it did not turn out so I started to use Gumpaste and it is very good ! Also I will try again to make some but it will be a different recipe from a very good source.. But any pre made will be .

Do you find that Satin Ice takes too long to dry? When I tried it, it seems way too soft and took forever to dry. In fact, I thought it acted and looked just like fondant and not gumpaste.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadfairy2003

I used Wiltons at first then tried to make my own but it did not turn out so I started to use Gumpaste and it is very good ! Also I will try again to make some but it will be a different recipe from a very good source.. But any pre made will be .

Do you find that takes too long to dry? When I tried it, it seems way too soft and took forever to dry. In fact, I thought it acted and looked just like fondant and not gumpaste.

That is the problem I had with satin ice the one time that I tried it. That's why I went back to Wilton. I never have a problem with it drying. I've ordered tylose so that I can make Nicholas Lodge's receipe. I hear that it's wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%