Upset Customer - I Declined Her Order

Decorating By WhyNotCakes Updated 5 May 2010 , 11:11pm by Elcee

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNotCakes

Thanks everyone.......this was a repeat customer, but the cakes she picks are horrendous, and making those types of cakes goes along with my name. I've always said I wouldn't make something just because I felt pressured.

I think I'm a pretty good decorator, but certain cakes just aren't my style. A huge problem for me are the cake shows -- so if you're a decorator, the perception is that you're expected to make any type of cake (BUT FOR LESS MONEY) -- and since I've made some for her, my declining this particular order set her off.

Big lesson learned here ---- THANK YOU ALL.

Just playing devil's advocate here BUT...couldn't this leave a potential customer out there who will now go elsewere and have no reason to come back to you. Not to mention that she may be giving you negative word of mouth about it. In this case I don't mean negative as in badmouthing you per se; more along the lines of "Oh, I tried to order a cake from so-and-so 1 and she wouldn't do it, can you imagine? I went to so-and-so 2 instead." Friend/coworker/relative answers "Wow, really? I'll go to so-and-so 2, too!" Some businesses can withstand that and some can't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%