What's The Difference Between Fondant And Mmf?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 6 May 2010 , 2:55am by ChoueiriCakeCo

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 11

Hi,

Other then the obvious (the ingredients) what's the difference between fondant and MMF? I'm referring to making your own NOT buying.

Is one softer, smoother, easier to use, easier to make etc?

I've made MMF twice with pretty good results.... once it was stiffer then the other but I'm sure I used the same recipe. I liked how pliable it was and easy to roll out .... and when it wasn't as soft I just put it in the microwave for a few seconds....

I have a cake to make next week and was debating if I should try a non MM recipe?

What do others here on CC prefer? and for what uses? is one better for somethings than the other?

10 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 11

non-MMF recipes usually include gelatin and glucose. i think gelatin smells like dirty socks, but i does make the fondant nice and stretchy. i think mmf tastes better, but is harder to work with.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 11

I have never really had the best results with MMF. I make Michele Foster's Fondant (usually the white chocolate version). The receipe is found on this site in the "most saved" receipes. It's a high quality fondant that taste awesome. Just be sure to follow the receipe just as it's written. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

non-MMF recipes usually include gelatin and glucose. i think gelatin smells like dirty socks, but i does make the fondant nice and stretchy. i think mmf tastes better, but is harder to work with.

Gelatin is one of the main ingredients in marshmallows.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 11

perhaps it's the brand of unflavored gelatin I use. I think it's "Knox". i like Toba Garrett's recipe because it's less ingredients and in convenient quantities.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #6 of 11

I used MMF for a long time but I hated the mess and inconsistent results. It took so long to make and was VERY messy. I switched to Debbie Brown's fondant recipe and am in love with it. It's much easier to make (only 4 ingredients: glucose, meringue powder, water & sugar). It takes me only a few minutes to make it (without all the mess), and goes on smoothly. I get the same result every time and don't have to worry about lumps and holes like with MMF.

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #7 of 11

does anyone have the exact recipe for the Debbie Brown fondant?

mamawrobin Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:20am
post #8 of 11

Someone pm'd me Debbie Brown's receipe. I'll send it to you. It may be tomorrow before I can becaue my son is needing the computer. icon_lol.gif

cloetzu Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 11

mamawrobin - please PM me with the recipe too! icon_wink.gif

cloetzu Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 11

does one harden/stiffen faster then the other (MMF vs a non MMF version)? The one thing I really like about the MMF fondant I made is that the next day when I cut the cake it was still a bit pliable so was easy to cut into... does Debbie's version or others have the same pliability the next day?

I used Wilton ready-made about a month ago (because I was short on time) and only a few hrs later it was pretty stiff and made it hard to cut the cake without destroying it - very messy - don't want to do that again!

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:55am
post #11 of 11

Debbie Brown's fondant does harden, but stays soft on the inside. I actually like that it hardens because I can touch the cake without it leaving finger marks/dents everywhere. I always had that problem with MMF (or maybe I just touch my cakes too much icon_razz.gif ).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%