Making Cake Pops, Coating Keeps Cracking...help

Baking By cake4baby Updated 4 May 2010 , 9:10pm by cake4baby

cake4baby Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 7

First time making cake pops, I froze the cake balls, took the out dipped sticks into candy melts, put back into freezer.
Then I put a tiny bit of crisco into candy melts to thin it, it was a bit thick. Then dipped into cany melts and tapped off the excess,
They looked great at first but within 30 mins the first batch begun to crack.....
I thought maybe it was a temperature issue..as it is allready getting hot here in TX so I lowered the AC and went for it again, yet the same thing....cracked coating....

What am I doing wrong?

And once I do get them made, can I stick them back into the freezer, until I need them on Friday, or should I leave them out on the counter?

6 replies
tiggy2 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 7

If they were frozen too long they were too cold to be dipped. I only freeze mine about 20-30 mins. before dipping. I've never frozen them after dipping so I can't answer that part of your question.

chefjulie Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with tiggy2- they're too cold! The chocolate is setting too fast, so it's cracking. I refrigerate mine for about 30 minutes before dipping.

CakesIMake Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 7

How long are you keeping them in the freezer for? They really should be in there for just a couple of mintues I never have left them in there for more than 5 min. they don't need to be frozen, just chilled a bit to firm up. they are cracking because they have been in there too long

Kima920 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 7

You are probably leaving them in the freezer before dipping too long. I have done that and they crack. You can put them back in the freezer no prob cause I have done it to get the chocolate hard quickly but if you leave them in there too long before dipping, the chocolate cooled too fast which causes the cracks.

cupcakemkr Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with the pops being too cold. I always thought it was because of the expansion and contraction thing - things that are cold contract then when the warm up the expand - too cold = bigger cracks

cake4baby Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 7

Ahh, thank you all,
so it is a tamperature issue, just not the issue I was thinking, lol, that should be an esay fix then,
thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%