Cake Stackers

Decorating By Katiebelle74 Updated 5 Feb 2015 , 3:00pm by AmberNada

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #61 of 103

If you want to go back to all the different venues at whatever hour they cut the cake then more power to you! Personally I just charge the deposit and they bring it back. Let me know how that works out for you.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #62 of 103

Well the thing is that I usually have only one event per day, and here in Mexico the weddings are at night, so I'd be back to the venue around 12:00 am (the usual hour for cutting the cake) and be by my house by 12:30-12:45 am. Not that I go to bed earlier...

Any other ideas for not asking for a deposit fee??? Of course things that can assure me I get my stuff back...

Katiebelle74 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:45pm
post #63 of 103

Since I take a deposit (that is held via cash or paypal NOT a check) the cake stand always gets returned to me promptly the next morning without problems. The one problem I have had so far was last night I was exhausted took a long shower and fell asleep on my bed for a little while in the evening which happened to be just when someone from the wedding called and said they could not figure out how to take the stand apart.

I had made a guide with pictures and instructions and printed it out along with a checklist of return items (pieces of stand etc.) and carefully gone over it with the hotel staff. I think I am going to have to work some more on that guide. I got the message an hour later and will find out soon (when they drop off the stand) how it went (as my return calls were not answered).

Katiebelle74 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #64 of 103

I have found another idea that I am seriously considering... there is a lady who started a cake cutting business here in town. She arrives at the venue 30 minutes before the event stays with/guards the cake until time of cutting, disassembles the cake cuts and serves it and brings the bakery their equipment back. It ranges in price between 40.00 to 100.00 depending on day or night event and how large the event is.

I am thinking about building her fees into my cake prices, that way the whole experience for the client is smooth and seamless from beginning to end on the cake. No random venue staff botching things up. Since I deliver 1 hour before the event the cake would only be unattended for 30 minutes and I would be confident that all the pieces of the stand would get returned.

Katiebelle74 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:48am
post #65 of 103

Plus she would hand out my business cards to anyone who asked which would be a great way to get my name out there some more!

The cake cutting lady was really excited about working with the cake stackers stand. She works with a lot of bakeries here locally and she got so excited when she went on their website saw how the stand worked and discovered that she would not have to hunt for or pull wooden dowels out of the cake or stick her fingers into the cake to retrieve any wooden dowels. I had not even really thought about that aspect but it is nice that there is only one small center hole and 4 very small holes around the sides and nothing to play hide and go seek with.

Katiebelle74 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #66 of 103

I mentioned it before but could not find the links previously..... the french pastry chef I used to work for has this cake stand ( it only does separated cakes at one set height and costs $271.00) :

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jbprince.com/images/R116B.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jbprince.com/table-service/7-tier-wedding-cake-stand.asp&usg=__EfCd-hlDOIDuiKbCqoKVOzEGjiQ=&h=250&w=250&sz=5&hl=en&start=38&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=ZVSslSi_gBFgbM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3D7%2Btier%2Bwedding%2Bcakes%26start%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS332%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1

then I had looked at the stress free cake support system for stacked cakes... pro set $220.00
http://www.stressfreecakes.com/public/store.html

then if you wanted a metal cascading stand $330.00
http://www.catererswarehouse.com/catalog/shop/product_9596_EA.html

so those 3 would cost 821.00 and cake stackers does all of those things plus more. So my thought when I purchased was IF I want my cake on a solid metal stand and I want to do different configurations then this makes a LOT of sense!

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #67 of 103

Hey Katie....Didn't want you to think that you were talking to yourself....I still visit but I just haven't had a chance or an excuse to use my set yet.....grrrrrrrr

Katiebelle74 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #68 of 103

thanks icon_smile.gif
I hope you get an excuse/reason to use it soon that sticks that you have not gotten to yet.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #69 of 103

Is is just me or is the customer service at cake stackers a little strange. I have called them twice and both times there have been awkward silent moments when I ask a question or needed confirmation on something. I called this morning and spoke to Tristan about how to get the holes in the cake, including the top tier since that hole is not supposed to go all the way through. He told me that I could just mount it on the center post and that will form a hole in it.

Wthl all due respect, I have a hard time believing that will work. Plus, I just watch their video on how to stack a cake and they mentioned and showed that all the holes were pre-cut in each cake, including the top tier. DOes anyone who has used them know how to do this? I just bought two sets from them and want to try out one this weekend. I would appreciate any information!
Thanks!

Katiebelle74 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:41am
post #70 of 103

Weird every time I called I've always either gotten Richard or Stephanie English (the creators of the stand). I'm wondering who Tristan is. Wonder if it is one of their children. That is odd. Did you PM me about this question? If so I sent you a message back.

SharonK1973 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:52am
post #71 of 103

Hi Katie...
Yeah that was me! Uh-huh... every time I call someone with an accent (British or something of the sort) insists that I speak to Tristan. I think I will remember those names you mentioned and ask for one of them if I ever need to call again.

What irks me is that I got rid of my wilton cake corer about a year ago!!!! I was thinking of using one of the hidden pillars too though! I also think I might try an apple corer.

My cakes are usually a little dense so I was worried that it would just push up the tiers and distort the cakes. I think I would feel more at ease to pre-core the cake

Thanks so much for your reply to my PM! I really appreciate it!

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #72 of 103

I asked about getting the holes in the cake as well and the reply I got was that the older model which she uses to demonstrate with had a thicker centre post hence the holes.

Having not used mine yet I can't say for sure but looking at the size of the centre post I have I also plan to use my apple corer to cut the holes out. For the top tier if you torte your layers you can core everything but the topmost layer to get it to fit I figure.

When I ordered mine I also dealt with Tristan. I just assumed he was an employee. I never called though. All my correspondence was by email.

SharonK1973 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:17pm
post #73 of 103

Well.... Richard called me this morning, and I have to agree with Katie! Speaking to him was NOTHING like speaking to Tristan. He was really, really nice! He told me that they have a cake corer, just that no one was interested in buying it. So he said he would send me one to try out and if I like it, then maybe they can re-introduce it! I'm so excited! He let me talk and explain my point and was very understanding of why I would be a little worried. So now I can say that cake stackers customer service is GREAT!!!

Katiebelle74 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #74 of 103

Glad to hear you got in touch with him! Richard is the best. I have had a bunch of questions and very specific things I wanted to do with mine (like the Indian cake with taller than normal separations) Richard was super at helping me order some modified pieces to make the stand do exactly what I wanted.

I have also used my round cutters to cut each layer when I did torte it, just picked the cutter I felt was the best size and cut them separately then layered and torted (I did this when I had mousse in the middle and wanted to put buttercream in the very center as I was worried about it seeping out. (and the cake design was separated not stacked so I wanted a clean look). But honestly since I have used it more I usually just shove it through for stacked cakes with great success and there is no need to worry.

I'll be curious to hear how you like the cake corer he sends you. Post a reply after you give it a whirl.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:54am
post #75 of 103

I stumbled upon this site while searching for a sturdy cake stacking system. Cake Stackers seems to be the answer! I have a few big wedding cakes coming up and I'll be ordering myself the Cake Stacker system as soon as our tax refund hits the bank!
Everything you ladies have said about it have sold me on it!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:41am
post #76 of 103

I saw this and I just went to the site and they look pretty cool! I have no intention of buying them right now, but maybe one day! And they evn have a topsy turvy set and precut cake boards made from cutting board material, and cardboard ones too. And some other neat little variations. I may have my metal shop working DH check these out. He could make me the whole set of plates times 3 for the wholesale bulk cost of the metal. Tempting....but what would we use for connectors? And how do you get your cake off of it?

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 2:40pm
post #77 of 103

The have instructional videos for unstacking the cake. Basically, you take the top cake off, unscrew the now visible center pole, then take the metal cake place and dowels off.

SweetIndulgences Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetIndulgences Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:00pm
post #78 of 103

Okay, I have a question. I am about to order one, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using the round system with square cakes. I have upcoming orders for both shapes, but I cannot buy both systems right now. I thought if I used the round system with square cake boards, maybe I could get the best of both worlds. Any feedback?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:37pm
post #79 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

Do you have a cake stackers system? How do you like it? What designs have you done with it? I just ordered one and am excited about everythin it can do and how solid it seems. I would love to hear from others who have experience with it. How much of a deposit do you take to ensure it's unharmed return? Have you had any problems with getting all pieces returned? What info did you give the venue/caterer so they would know how to work the stand? Appreciate any and all info. on this!

That is pretty impressive! I just hate to have to depend on getting things back...

It is similar to my own system....a board with a fixed center 1/2 inch dowel that cakes are impaled down over.

demcdani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
demcdani Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:27am
post #80 of 103

Thanks Katiebelle for starting this thread, I just ordered this today. It looks amazing to me and can't wait to use it!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:10am
post #81 of 103

I'm seriously thinking about buying it. They do not have one for a 9" cake,m though, which I use A LOT (many of my cakes are 12-9-6). I've sent therm an email asking if i can cheat with the 8" for a 9" cake. I honestly don't see why not as long as I have the proper size cake board.

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:39pm
post #82 of 103

Not to resurrect an old thread ... but I am curious to know what tryingcake found out about using the smaller 8" cake stackers plate with a 9" cake. Anyone know? Would love to try this product, but I do a lot of 5"/7"/9" sizes.

We have to do something better than the system we are using now. I am horrible at cutting the plastic dowel rods to the right size and like my cakes made taller than the 4" that SPS requires. Too bad you can't combine the cake jacks with SPS system!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:04pm
post #83 of 103

I am happy that I found this!!!!!! How would suspend a cake with a cake dummy? Would I need a plate for that dummy too? I am really thinking about getting this system.

libi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libi Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 3:24pm
post #84 of 103

hi,, I have the Genesis Cake Stacker system.. its for beginners. I am not familiar with SPS.. what does that stand for? Can someone send me a link? thanks

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 2:01pm
post #85 of 103

I have the Cake Stackers system-my daughters gave it to me for Christmas last year as the eldest was getting married.  Is it worth it?  In my book-YES!  My daughter chose an elaborate 4 tier cake that was not only heavy but was to be transported 8 hours via both interstate and windy mountain roads, then down a wheelchair ramp.  The system kept everything perfect as each tier is independantly supported and locked together.  I truly do not believe the cake would have made it otherwise.  And the base plates have other uses and can be just a base for a regular cake.  I also drilled a hole in my Wilton turntable the exact size of the base screw(rivet?) and when I am doing a large cake I can invert a base, snap it down into the hole and voila! I have a large turntable for my cakes!  They recently had the Genisis system on sale but my daughters gave me a complete system.

Here is a picture of my cake that was transported through 4 states!

CamilleBianca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CamilleBianca Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 3:27am
post #86 of 103

Thank you for sharing your story, picture, and tips. That is one gorgeous and elegant cake! Although I'm a beginner, this thread is convincing me more and more to get Cake Stackers to save time and prevent disasters. 

Does anyone know if the standard Cake Stackers set will support double barrel cakes? I have yet to see one displayed on their website.

Thanks!

Walkinmomma Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 11:00am
post #87 of 103

You can contact Cake Stackers directly and they will answer any questions you have about a barrel cake and their system

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 4:18pm
post #88 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17 

this is me too! if i have to get the scored ones to cut if i don't get it at 4" then i'd rather stick to the bubble tea straws.

i bought sps and love it, however, my cakes are taller than 4 inches and i didn;t want to pay extra for the cuttable dowels. i bought the 4 inch and figured id just start making my cakes that tall but when it came down to it, it was just too short for me. so i had a big bag of the 1/2 inch diameter heavy poly dowels that are hollow in the center that i had ordered from GSA a while back and i was actually able to cut those to my cake height and they fit over the ends where the dowels were supposed to go on the sps cake plates just like the dowels that SPS provides. I have to really push them on but they are noce and snug and it has worked great!

Walkinmomma Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 5:27pm
post #89 of 103

My daughters got me the extenders for the tiers that go with the Cake Stackers system.  These allow you to have tiers as high as 8".  I have used the dowels in cakes  and they work fine for a cake that is stationary or to be moved a short distance but I did not trust them for my cake that weighed over 125 lbs, was 40" tall and was being transported 8 hours via interstate, winding mountain roads to the Homestead, up a brick ramp and finally down a steep wheelchair ramp.  My heart couldn't take it...LOL

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 12:44am
post #90 of 103

I am sad to say I ordered cake stackers.  I am not happy at all. I don't like to slam products but I hate this thing...also when she turns the cake upon its side if you look close you will see she has a plate screwed on the top thats why she can do that.  I am not happy and wish I could get my money back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%