Traveling Cake Question!!

Decorating By Jessi83 Updated 4 May 2010 , 9:10pm by Jessi83

Jessi83 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for a lady for her daughter's graduation next weekend. I'll be out of town on the weekend, so she'll be picking it up from me on Friday evening. The cake is a 2 tier - 8" & 10" two-layer rounds, covered in fondant. She wants 'sticks' coming out of the top with her daughter's name, and shorter sticks with '2010' on them. I've bought 8" cookie sticks to use. I'm concerned about the sticks tearing through the cake or something with travel. Does anyone more experienced have any ideas/suggestions in this dept? I just don't want anything to happen to the cake in transit before they get to eat it! (I plan on stars being on the top of the sticks, with the letters of her name on each star, so 6 stars for her name, and the 4 shorter ones for '2010'.) Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

3 replies
emrldsky Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 4

They SHOULD be fine (seeing as they're long and would probably have to rip through the entire cake), but if you're worried, can you possibly slip the sticks into a narrow straw and place the straw into the cake?

Minnie's ears here ( were placed with candy (lollipop or sucker) sticks and they didn't budge at all.

Good luck!!!

cakemom42 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 4

Ditto on the straws.. have taken cakes all the way to OK, TX, AL, & NC from DC :0) never a problem... :0)

Oh!! put a small amount of fondant in the straws if you feel the need to secure it even more tightly... no wiggle room :0)

Jessi83 Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 4

Sounds perfect!! Thanks so much!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%