Anyone Know How To Make Sams Bc Into Choc. Bc?

Baking By CakesIMake Updated 5 May 2010 , 3:14pm by tmelrose

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 9

Someone called the other day and is asking for yellow cake with chocolate buttercream. I have a ton of Sams bc and was wondering what, if anything I can add to it to make it chocolate bc. I waS THINKING MAYBE MELT SOME SEMI-SWEET CHOC CHIPS IN THERE ((sorry about the caps) icon_redface.gif . not to sure if that would work though. any advise would be great. thanks!

8 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 9

I use cocoa powder. I mix it with warm water till it looks like a melted chocolate consistence and whip it in Sams BC . Its very good. You can add a little brown color if you want it really dark brown. I have also made it with Hersheys syrup mixed in, but I think it is a little sweet that way.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 9

I didn't realize you could buy Sam's icing. What size, I'm assuming tubs, do they come in? Once opened how long do you have to use them?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 9

Don't waist good chocolate on that stuff! You'll get just as good of a result by using the melted cocoa powder.

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 9

I added cocoa to Sam's buttercream and it was wonderful. I added just a little bit of water to get the right consistency, but just a little. I didn't add brown food coloring, but that is a good idea for a darker brown. I used it to make a basketweave design and everyone loved it.

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelrose

I didn't realize you could buy Sam's icing. What size, I'm assuming tubs, do they come in? Once opened how long do you have to use them?

It's not a small tub...it's a huge bucket. That is if you are buying white. The only ones that come in small containers are the colors and whipped. Have you ever been to Sam's or Wal Mart and seen that big bucket they decorate out of? Thats what you can buy. It's shelf life is several months, you just have to watch it when you buy it to make sure it doesn't expire soon. I also found out that Publix sells all of their frostings....I so want to try their fudge.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesIMake

Someone called the other day and is asking for yellow cake with chocolate buttercream. I have a ton of Sams bc and was wondering what, if anything I can add to it to make it chocolate bc. I waS THINKING MAYBE MELT SOME SEMI-SWEET CHOC CHIPS IN THERE ((sorry about the caps) icon_redface.gif . not to sure if that would work though. any advise would be great. thanks!

I use melted chocolate chips. I prefer the taste to cocoa powder. I've never used Sam's buttercream but I have made chocolate bc out of Indydebi's buttercream by adding 1 c. melted s.s. chocolate chips and it's delicious thumbs_up.gif

You'll need to add a little milk (tiny bit at a time) until you get the right consistency after adding the chocolate.

I assume you have a large tub of icing so I'd say about 3 cups of icing to 1 cup of melted chocolate. icon_smile.gif

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:30am
post #8 of 9

I've Heard that you can use bottled chocolate syrup to get the flavor and dark chocolate look.?

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 9

Mamawrobin when you make Indydebi's bc do you use Crisco or high ratio shortening? I need to try out her recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%