Question About My First Cake

Decorating By kjcplus2 Updated 4 May 2010 , 9:15pm by carmijok

kjcplus2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjcplus2 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, I've been a member for a while and I get on here from time to time and just look at pictures and think that is so cool. Well, I've decided to do my first cake. I am going to use a marshmellow fondant on a rectangle cake. I haven't taken any formal classes or anything (wait, does utube count?), it's just something I am interested in. I have a very creative and artistic side, so I think this will be good for me. I have a few questions but if there is any pointers that anyone can give me that would be greatly appreciated. How long does fondant have to harden before it will stand on it's own? The cake will be transported, so what about the heat. Will it melt? If so, is a 30 minute period too long? Sorry for all the questions, I've been on here about three hours strait trying to answer my questions just through research. I'm sure I think of more, but for now that is it. Thanks a bunch in advance.

8 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

How long does fondant have to harden before it will stand on it's own?

What do you mean here?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 9

After making your MMF I think it's suggested that you let it "rest" overnight before using. As far as your question "how long does fondant have to harden before it will stand on it's own?" I'm not clear on exactly what you mean icon_confused.gif .

kjcplus2 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 9

I don't even know if I'm replying in the right spot, sorry if it is not. I should have explained myself a little better. I'll tell ya what I'm doing...I am making a graveyard type cake with a picket fence around the sides. I want to let the tips of the fence stick up above the top of the cake a little. I just don't want it to start curling over. Almost like when you make a bow or something how do you get it to keep the form or shape? Does it have to stay at a certain temp to keep shape or what? Sorry, I'm so duh?!?! (Maybe this is why they have classes, huh?)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 9

You'll need to add some tylose or gumpaste to your fondant to make it hard enough to stand on it's own.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 9

knead a stiffener into your fondant (e.g. tylose or gumpaste). roll it out, cut out your shapes, then let them dry for a day in their final form.

when you make bows, you let them dry on something that will support the bow-shape, like paper towels or a thick dowel.

so if you're making a fence posts, roll and cut them out and let them dry on a flat surface. i suggest putting them on parchment paper so they won't stick to your counters accidentally.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 9

I'd use gum paste instead of fondant. It hardens quickly and is much lighter. For flowers, and decorations like what you are describing, gum paste is your friend. And I use the pre-made gum paste I find at Michaels. Think it's Wilton. A little can go a long way with it. I'm sure there's better stuff, but so far it's worked great for me. I've done bows, flowers, toppers. You can roll it very thin too without it stretching or breaking. Just remember it dries VERY quickly.

kjcplus2 Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 9

Ok, so I shouldn't use fondant at all? Just gumpaste or mix it in with the mm fondant? And does it matter if I use generic or should I go with brand name mellows and such? Thanks to everyone, this is a big help.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 9

I've tried mixing tylose with fondant and while it made it a bit stiffer and dried a little faster, I didn't like it. You just can't get the thin workable dough that makes great bows or flowers. Plus it just dries faster--hours instead of days usually--depending on how thin you roll it-- and is so much lighter...an important consideration if you are wanting stand-up decor. I buy a package of gum paste at Michaels--it's Wilton's ready to use gum paste and I love it. I suppose you can mix gum paste with fondant, but why bother? You can treat the gum paste like fondant...although if it's going to get eaten use fondant. I use gum paste for decorations only. If you are covering a cake, then fondant is your friend. If you want to make picket fences, then I recommend gum paste. But that's me. You must find what works for you. It's all fun experimenting. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%