How Can I Make My Pricing Clearer For Customers?

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:23pm by KHalstead

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #31 of 54

This is where we differ. I would charge the larger amount for all cakes that are that size. IMO, I put just as much time into a 6" cake - no matter if it is part of a tiered cake or if it is by itself.....there is no difference - but that is just my opinion!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #32 of 54

This looks so much better! I like the fact that you have a cake with each price as an example it work wonderfully. Now your customers should have fewer pricing questions.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #33 of 54

thanks!!!

Loucinda- I rarely get the chance to sell round/square cakes by themselves because people can pick up an 8" round at the local bakery for $7.99 w/ simple flowers and writing.....I charge $20 (at $1.00/serv.).........I could just imagine if I told them an 8" round was $45!!!

However, if I only charged $1.00/serv. for tiered cakes it wouldn't even be worth my while.

I make sure that I don't spend more than an hour on any given round/square/sheet cake! Unless they're paying above and beyond the base price!

However, with tiered cakes I spend MUCH more time perfecting everything because there is a higher price tag attached to it, so I think it deserves more time and effort being spent.

I really do value your opinions, you guys have helped me immensely!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #34 of 54

KHalstead-Your new pricing page looks great! It's much simpler, and the photos are a nice touch. I think this will help ease some of the questions, but not all!

KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #35 of 54

lol.....I know!!! I'm sure I'll get an email.........how much do you charge for stacked cakes iced in buttercream??????/

lol........................fun working with the public isn't it?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #36 of 54

Always lots of laughs!

Like meeting the lady... I was ordering chinese food. I said "I want the vegetable fried rice and I'd like to add chicken". She shouts back "NO (shaking her head)". I say "Okay well what do you have that has vegetables, freid rice, and chicken"? She tells me "You can get the chicken friend rice and add vegetables"... icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif WTF?!?!?! icon_mad.gif isnt that what I said???

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #37 of 54

I looked at your page and also found it confusing. Maybe something like this would work.
http://customcakeplace.com/prices/

KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:46pm
post #38 of 54

I kinda had something along those lines and everyone thought it was TMI!

I love the colors of that website though, can't believe you only charge $3.50 for those babies though (I charge $10) and sell them all the time!

Do you have a separate price for tiered cakes Jaime? You're not charging $1.50/serv. for them are you?

jamiekwebb Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:22pm
post #39 of 54

I only charge $3.50 for the baby because it is a snap to make and cost just a few cents for me. Yeah, those are my standard prices for all of my cakes. I know, I know, that's not enough but around here I have people balking at that price. I don't want a debate either, I charge what I can get.

KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #40 of 54

no arguments here, your regular round cakes are more expensive than mine LOL!!

Where are you located?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #41 of 54

Yes, it was confusing and you lost my interest half way through because it's just too much information. Keep it simple. On my website I just say that my cakes start at $4.00 per serving and increase depending on flavor and design.

When you meet with your client and find out what they want then you can fine tune the price.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:47pm
post #42 of 54

Tina,

I looked at your site yesterday and meant to comment but the kids called me away and I got side tracked and forget...I like the new changes and the pictures help alot!! I am a visual person so if I can see what you are talking about I understand it better.I think you will find less emails and more customers who ask less questions!And for Gosh Darn sakes girl....Raise those prices..I can buy a 9x13 slab cake here from the grocery store for $24.00....Raise em... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #43 of 54

wow.........really?? $24!

jamiekwebb Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #44 of 54

I am located in rural South Western Virginia. A coal and gas town that is really struggling right now.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggles

Also, you list a sheet cake with less than 35 servings, and one with more than 54 servings. Customers may ask you what you charge for say, 40 servings. Yes, someone will ask. icon_smile.gif

No kidding! Happened to me! I told a client a 11x15 serves 35. She said, "But I only need 30, can you make it smaller?" I said, "If you don't want any cake leftover, you can cut them bigger, but I can't saw off part of the cake and throw it away for you."

I tended to give sheet sizes as "This will serve 25 to 35, depending on how you cut it and the next size up will serve 40-50. Which works best for you?" (The price was the same, of course, no matter HOW they cut it.)

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #46 of 54

my preferred layout/design ... i must be bored at work. stupid forum won't let me post html ... but you'll get the drift ... PM me if you want the html code ... looks much better that just the text here.

Basic Cakes: Enjoy any celebration with cake!
* Buttercream only - $1.00 per serving
* Covered in fondant - $1.50 per serving
[your images here]

Centerpiece and Satellite Cakes: Beautifully designed and matching cakes for your special occasion.
* Buttercream only - $1.50 per serving
* Covered in fondant - $2.00 per serving
[your images here]

Sheet Cakes
* 8"x12"x2" (serves 20 ) - $20
* 9"x13"x2" (serves 24) - $24
* 11"x15"x2" (serves 35) - $30
* 12"x18"x2" (serves 54) - $40
* 15"x22"x2" (serves 77) - $50
* 18"x24"x2" (serves 10icon_cool.gif - $65
[your images here]

Stacked Cakes: Includes free delivery within Conneaut city limits, decorative cake board, and arranging of up to 25 flowers.
* Buttercream only - $2.25 per serving
* Covered in fondant - $2.75 per serving
[your images here]

Carved Cakes: 2D
* Buttercream only - $2.00 per serving
* Covered in fondant - $2.50 per serving
[your images here]

Carved Cakes: 3D
* Buttercream only - $3.00 per serving
* Covered in fondant - $3.50 per serving
[your images here]

Whimsical or Topsy-Turvey Cakes
* Buttercream only - $3.50 per serving
* Covered in fondant - $4.00 per serving
* some fillings may not be available to maintain stability
[your images here][/i]

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #47 of 54

Yup...about 12 years ago those same 1 layer 1/4 slabs were $14.95..in the last 5 years they have gone up to $24.99...2 years ago a local grocery chain was selling their NEW signature cakes which essentially are the various Decopac 3D Pirate ship,Doll cake you see on Ebay and all the bakeries etc...for $49.99...They are now $69.99...I charge $50.00 for my 9x13 slab...but I do realize different areas command different prices.If you can and you think your area can support the increase then I say do it!!

KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:40pm
post #48 of 54

metria thanks so much........I've used the html lined out by metria to revamp it yet another time! lol

I think I'm pretty satisfied with it now............unless I've been messing with it so long it just looks easy to figure out LOL

Thanks guys!!

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:26pm
post #49 of 54

I would change the ; to : for basic cakes and then stop.
It is perfect!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #50 of 54

You could tattoo it to your forhead but they still wouldnt get it!! lol

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #51 of 54

Well, I'm just lookiing at it now for the first time, and I sure hope that this is the changed version, because if someone doesn't understand THIS.... Well, let's just say "Here's you sign!!!!!"

Very nice. And I love the "example" cakes below, so they can "see" what you mean!

KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #52 of 54

lol thanks mommyle!

My old pricing page was a TON of words EVERYWHERE with all kinds of stuff highlighted and underlined and *'s before everything LOL

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:26am
post #53 of 54

Nice job, much better. Just one more nitpicky thing. Under basic cakes, buttercream only and price is a different font than everything else.

KHalstead Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #54 of 54

got it!! Can't believe I didn't notice that, usually stuff like that bugs me! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%