Parrots On A Cake?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 7 May 2010 , 3:32pm by ctinaw

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 9

I have an order for a Jimmy Buffet themed wedding cake and there are parrots on the cake. The way they look is that maybe they were made out of gumpaste & hand painted? I would love to do some 3D parrots out of fondant or candy somehow... what do you think would look the best and hold up outside? They'll be sitting on a fondant cake so if the weather is humid, they'll be keeping the cake inside until the reception begins.

I also found some parrot molds on ebay but they're for clay. They're made of polymer which they say does not bend or move... that wouldn't be the best to use with fondant or candy then, would it?

8 replies
cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry I don't know about the molds, but I'm very jealous of the bride and groom. I would LOVE a Jimmy Buffet wedding cake! Good Luck

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 9

Here's a picture of it: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qgvxgwNCZR0/SitNGO3bBXI/AAAAAAAAAO0/ptb8MARekFc/s1600-h/AnnandTylerResized.jpg

I'm not sure if I would just be better off going this route with gumpaste & painting them or trying to do the molds...

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 9

I'd love to do that cake. The parrots look like they are cut from fondant/gumpaste, painted and outlined with food color pens. I think 3D parrots would be fantastic and make the cake look even better. Birds are not hard to hand mold, give it a shot. Here's a simple one from Wilton.
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Birthday-on-the-Bounty-Cake

cupcakeatheart Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 9

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22939&name=Parrot%20Mold%20by%20First%20Impressions

I found this one on Global Sugar Art. I don't know why the clay one wouldn't work if you just use it for food. I'd put lots of cornstarch or powdered sugar in there so it doesn't get stuck

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 9

if it's food safe and it's a mold for clay, it can be used for fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate too (as long as it hasn't been used for something other than food stuffs first, of course)

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 9

That looks like an awesome mold from Global Sugar Art!!! And I think the price is great
for a specialty mould too!
Can't wait to see your finished cake!!!

cupcakeatheart Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 9

Please tell me they asked for margarita and sponge cake icon_wink.gif

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 9

Since the parrots are 2D - depending on your artistic ability - you could either just try to draw them and make your own templates to trace - or you could even crop the parrots and blow them up to the size you want - then trace to make your own custom templates.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%