Make Impresions Stand Out On Black Fondant

Decorating By Byron Updated 4 May 2010 , 1:42pm by dsilvest

Byron Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a aligator leather purse for a vegan friends birthday, as its the closest she is going to get to one! icon_lol.gif

My friend only wears black, so obviously the cake is black. I have ordered an impression mat for the pattern.

I have looked on any image and directions I can find, and it apears that once the impresion is made, a suitable darker dust powder is brushed into the imression to make the pattern stand out and give depth. Great, icon_biggrin.gif only problem is, how do I get a darker colour than black to brush into the impression. icon_confused.gif

If anyone has an idea I would love to hear it. By the way I don't have an air gun.

Thanks.

2 replies
all4cake Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 3

for an alligator purse in black, I would suggest steaming it and that's it...the steam should rest on the raised areas first, leaving the indented areas less shiney...adding contrast by way of matte against shiney.

dsilvest Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 3

On a piece of scrap fondant, experiment with different dusting powders. I recently put some copper over a really dark brown embossed fondant. Try dark colours as well as lighter ones if you have them. Metallics or pearl dust can be interesting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%