The War Between Royal Icing And Frosting

Decorating By manda2177 Updated 4 May 2010 , 2:02pm by TexasSugar

manda2177 Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 3

Does it exist?

I made this cake for my hubby's work, and someone sent me a message about what type of frosting I used.

Apparently, she informed me, royal icing and any buttery frosting DONT go together.

WHAT?!?!!!

I even wrote the quickest, shortest tutorial of all time for my blog. Now I am worried I need to go back and add a disclaimer!

I have made quite a few cakes like this and have used every type of frosting under the sun not to mention fondant.

I have never had a problem!

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/cakes/

Am I just getting lucky or is there some truth to this?

Blessings today ladies and gents~
Amanda

2 replies
jennywenny Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 3

I tried piping with royal icing on a buttercream once, and the royal icing dissolved in the condensation and ran down the cake! Everyone who saw it thought it was a really cool goth effect!!

It seems to me that you would either want to stick with oil based or water based decorations, so for a buttercream cake, that cute flower effect might be better off done with candy melts, or royal icing on a fondant cake?

You might be ok if the cake isnt super cold, so doesnt attract condensation?

TexasSugar Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 3

Jenny, water/moisture/condensation will melt royal.

Manda, we are taught when making royal to keep it as far from grease as possible or it won't work. Which is try in the actual mixing it. But once done it can go on buttercream/grease with out an issue. I have piped royal on to a fondant cake that was coated in crisco and never had a problem.

In my opinion it is a myth, that was brought on because it is so stressed in the mixing process. If royal didn't work with grease/buttercream why would we have been using it all these years?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%