First Outside Cake.. Nervous!

Decorating By scionmom Updated 8 May 2010 , 8:43pm by scionmom

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone!
I am making my first outside cake, which I just found out that it was going to be outside. Im making it for my daughters whole fifth grade class at her school for their graduation. I am planning on making a 14" chocolate with ganach and fondant, and 11" & 8" yellow cake covered in Indydebi's BC and MMF. It is supposed to be about 90 here on Friday and when my dd told me it was going to need to be outside I literally started to sweat! I am so nervous as to how the heat is going to effect it. Should I use white chocolate ganache instead of BC on the yellow cake? Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for this event? Again like I said it is for this Friday so, can you say short notice???
Thanks to all who take the time to read and reply!
Have a great caking day!

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 11

I wouldn't use ganache at all. And I'd use commercial fondant.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 11

I have a large wedding cake due in late June and expecting hot weather. I wanted to try the ganache but decided not to chance it.

I am going to use Indy's bc and hopefully Jennifer D's fondant.

Be sure to post a pic of your cake and let us know how it all goes.
good luck!!

scionmom Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 11

Really? UGH!! My ganache looks so much better than my BC... lol. I was thinking that ganache would be a little easier (still new to this whole thing)... Guess thats what I get for thinkin.. lol. I did a BC under fondant a couple weeks ago and it was hot and humid and it just flopped. I am just stuck as to what to do now. I am terrified that the BC will not set up.. maybe it was the humidity that did it then. Not supposed to be humid this week.. Thank you ladies for your advice and i will definately post a pic when i get it done.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 11

Ganache will melt.

Just use Indydebi's BC. It will be fine.

scionmom Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 11

Here we go. Thank you ladies for your advice. I did end up using the ganache since it was already made... lol. But it went over with out an problems, well except the writing started to run a little cuz of condensation. I am overall pleased with it and everyone at the school was so impressed and excited. I delivered it yesterday and have already gotten 10 emails wanting me to do a cake for people. I so wish I could charge them, but for now I will just be happy with the expierience.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1668546&done=1

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 11

I think it is just lovely! Terrific job thumbs_up.gif
I have yet to try the ganache but it is on my "to do" list. Very nice and smooth finish icon_smile.gif

Way to go!! icon_biggrin.gif

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 11

Nice job on the cake. I have a wedding cake to do in July and wanted to use ganache underneath the fondant, but I will wait and see what the weather is going to be like first...

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 11

So did it tolerate 90 degrees or did it not get that hot?

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 11

Great cake - so impressed by that top tier! We don't get heat like you all do - I would never have tried the ganache under fondant in 90 degrees - must have been refrigerated until serving? Anyway, you are certain to have lots of orders pouring in after that even when folks know you can't fill them! Enjoy your accomplishment!

scionmom Posted 8 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone. Yes it was refrigerated till it got to the school. I think it got to about 80 here yesterday so it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, just a learning thing i guess. I dont know why I didnt think about the ganache melting... it is chocolate. DUH! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%