First Time Using Fondant.

Decorating By MessMaker Updated 4 May 2010 , 1:08pm by MessMaker

MessMaker Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:49am
post #1 of 4

I make cakes as a hobby, and recently i did a castle cake for my daughters birthday. Well a friend liked it so much that he asked me to make his kids a b-day cake ( 3 kids bday cakes all in the same 10 day period). I am planning on trying fondant out on them, but know very little about it.. Could some one tell me how long can it be made and stored ahead of time? will the color keep? how do i store it? and the cakes, can i make them ahead of time and freeze them? if so how long in advanced can i make them? Please help me, im no professional, but someday hope to be good enough to make it a part to full time job, and see this as the opportunity to start getting my work out there.[/i]

3 replies
iamelms Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 4

You most certainly can freeze your cakes! I'm not sure how long other people freeze theirs, but I usually make the cakes and put them in the freezer for a day or two before I decorate. As far as the fondant goes, I've only made the marshmellow fondant once, and I made it the day before, wrapped it in saran wrap a couple of times, then put it in a ziploc bag. I would think you could make it a week in advance, as long as you store it so that no air gets to it. The color should keep just fine. I'm no professional either, but I hope this helps some! Good luck with your cakes!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 4

Fondant can be stored for weeks. Months even. When I'm getting ready to store it, I roll it into a smooth ball, coat the ball with crisco, wrap in a couple layers of plastic, put it in a ziploc baggie and then put that into an airtight container. It might be overkill, but it works for me.

The color will keep. I would keep it out of sunlight or even lamplight when you store it, as some lights can bleach icings/fondant over time. Lavender is a big one. Lavender can bleach to light blue if it's kept under florescent lights. Not all, but some.

The time frame most bakers go by for a saturday party is they start their mixing of frostings/fondant on monday, maybe into tuesday; bake on wednesday; fill cakes and ice them on thursday; stack and decorate on friday; deliver/pick up on saturday. The cakes can be frozen, just wrap them in a double layer of plastic wrap, I find I like Glad Press and Seal.

With three cakes in the same 10 day period, do as much as you can ahead of time, like mixing and coloring the frostings, making any fondant decals that will be added to the cake. If there's going to be fondant bows or flowers, you could start those as early as a month in advance. Those need time to air dry. If it was just one cake, you could probably do the whole assembling process (days 3-5) all in one day, but since you mentioned 3 cakes, I would space it out like this.

Also, icing/fondant color will darken with age, so if you find you're not getting the color you had in mind, let it sit for a while. It may come to the color on it's own.

Good luck and have fun!!

MessMaker Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

With three cakes in the same 10 day period, do as much as you can ahead of time, like mixing and coloring the frostings, making any fondant decals that will be added to the cake. If there's going to be fondant bows or flowers, you could start those as early as a month in advance. Those need time to air dry. If it was just one cake, you could probably do the whole assembling process (days 3-5) all in one day, but since you mentioned 3 cakes, I would space it out like this.

i am doing some stars and circle fondant cut-outs, on butter cream icing... I can do that right? do those need to dry as well, if so how long do they dry, do i just leave them sitting out or what? i dont wanna get this wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%