Cake Circle Took Off Icing/fondant From Cake Below It

Decorating By GrkAthena82 Updated 4 May 2010 , 10:18pm by Jenn2179

GrkAthena82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrkAthena82 Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:33am
post #1 of 6

This doesn't exactly qualify as a disaster but here goes:

I made a two tiered mmf covered cake for my boss's bridal shower at work. I have to mention though that I used Crisco to roll it out, so it was somewhat shiny/tacky.

After the shower, I went to remove the top cake from the bottom one (there were a lot of leftovers) and as I was lifting the cake circle, it took all the icing/fondant off from the bottom cake. I've never had this problem before. Was this because of the consistency of the mmf and the crisco? Should I use cornstarch to roll it out?

I seem to have a lot of trouble with the consistency of mmf from one batch to the next. It's never the same! Should I just use satin ice from now on?

This would've been a disaster had I needed to actually use the remainder of the cake. HELP!

5 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:44am
post #2 of 6

I think the Crisco is your problem. It allowed the top tier to adhere to the cake circle, resulting in what happened.

Maybe next time you could put a coating of powdered sugar on it before placing the cake circle in contact with it.

Sorry this happened to you

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 6

I"ve also heard of some people using a circle of wax/parchment paper

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 6

I use to have that problem also until I started wrapping my boards in press and seal wrap. HTH.

GrkAthena82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrkAthena82 Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the advice. I will keep this in mind for next time.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 6

I always sprinkle some powered sugar on the top of the tier before I place the next tier on top of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%