Filling Cakes - Help

Decorating By halleyec Updated 4 May 2010 , 1:06pm by Motorhead

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:29am
post #1 of 6

I am needing a bit of information in regards to filling cakes.

I don't normally fill (usually layer with ganache)but i have a customer who wanting jam and cream through a oversized cupcake?

What do i do to stop it bulging out the sides or making the cake unstable.

Thanks in advance

5 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:46am
post #2 of 6

make a dam of very thick frosting or bc and put it around the outside and then fill the middle with the jam. Don't make the filling any higher than the dam.( With the very thick frosting, I just add lots of extra pc to frosting, roll it into a rope and put it around the outside of the cake edge.) HTH

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:47am
post #3 of 6

To keep the filling from bulging out, you'll need a frosting dam. You just pipe a ring of thick frosting around the inside edge of your cake, then add the filling. This will keep the filling from squishing out.

Here's a link to a page with a photo of an icing dam with filling:

http://letsgetcaking.blogspot.com/2009/09/first-time-torting-cake.html

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 6

And yes, you've been using filling all along, if you "layer with ganache." The ganache is the filling. Whatever is between the cake layers is filling.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 6

I was thinking the same thing Leah! I'm surprise you didn't mention your "settling trick" though: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-settle.html+tile

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 6

one more thing to remember is to not over fill your cake, i'm always tempted to add more filling, but then the dreaded bulge happens!! less is more in this case! good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%