Cake Heights

Decorating By Braaatz Updated 4 May 2010 , 4:37pm by Braaatz

Braaatz Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:34am
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a wedding cake in July and i've never done one before so i need all the help i can possibly get, lol. How many layers do i do? How high are the tiers supposed to be? I've also included a pic of the cake the bride would like to have, i have no idea how to get the cake to be the right height. I have the wedding cake pans by wilton 14', 12' and 6' i think are the sizes but i am not sure if these will work with the cake she has asked for. She also wants summery flavors and is asking for the cake to be orange colored with some kind of fruity filling. I've done cakes before but thias will be the first wedding cake and it's one of the main parts of the wedding so it has to be perfect. Any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated! Thank You So Much!!

2 replies
Ballymena Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:31am
post #2 of 3

Flavor could be orange like the color of the cake. Do a Bavarian cream filling, that would balance the flavors but if she wants fruity you can fold a fruit pie filling into the Bav. cream.
The cake you have pictured looks like - bottom to top - 16" diameter and 8'"high, 14"diam.x3"high, 10"diam. x 8" high. 8"diam. x 2" high, 6" diam. x 6" high.
You will have to bake several layers to get some of these heights.

Braaatz Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your help!!! Those measurements will be such a great guide for me to work with. She had heard of a orange dream cake before and was interested in trying that. Sorry for all of the questions but i am new to the wedding cake thing. If the wedding is on a far in advance could i start getting the cake together? Does it need to be put in the fridge? Can i do that with fondant and gumpaste? Also how do i know when i need to refrigerate a cake. How do you get around that when it comes to the wedding cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%