Anyone Else Hate Their Cake Cricut?

Decorating By Juliequeen Updated 3 Sep 2014 , 8:11pm by tracie42

LayerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LayerCakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:10pm
post #121 of 138

I want to but..yikes some of these ladies are wayyy outta my league and i'm a big ol' chicken.

LayerCakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:10pm
post #122 of 138

I want to but..yikes some of these ladies are wayyy outta my league and i'm a big ol' chicken.

LayerCakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm
post #123 of 138

well that's nice I now stutter.

lizzy2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzy2011 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm
post #124 of 138

OMG don't be a chicken, i've never entered any kind of contest in my life but I am seriously considering this one, so what if i lose, it's all about the experience and you can never win if you don't play! Anyway, this is totally off subject but how the heck do you enter a profile picture? I can't seem to figure it out, techno savvy not being one of my strong suits and did you look at the elements I cut with the cricuit on my kings cake, just be honest and if they suck tell me what i could do different.........thanks

lizzy2011 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:23pm
post #125 of 138

Ok,, I just looked at your cake pictures and you are chicken because??????????? Seriously? Your work is amazing and you are listed as a newbie because? Give yourself some credit girl, you have serious skills!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:49pm
post #126 of 138

My children purchased one for me as a goft last year. Tried so many designs with it, did not like it at all. Everything tore and dodn't not look clean, returned it and I am not at all sorry I did.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 8:36pm
post #127 of 138

After reading so many mixed reviews about the Cricut I didn't know if I still wanted one or not. My husband decided to give me one for Christmas after watching me cut a bunch of stuff by hand.

My son, who is taking machining in school, took it out of the box read through the instructions and had it up and running in minutes. After we practiced a while we figured out the fondant has to be firm. So I added some dry gumpaste mix to Wilton fondant then let it sit on the mat for about 10 minutes before cutting. Worked like a charm....

Now that I got the fondant thing figured out I'm just going have to play around with it until I get the hang of the buttons. I think it will be worth it in the long run but I don't see me getting it out when I have just a little bit to cut.

LayerCakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 10:18pm
post #128 of 138

for some reason I can't get your pictures to change to see the different pictures. let me post this then go into the profile see if I can send you the how to..brb

LayerCakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 10:24pm
post #129 of 138

nope won't let me enter a picture..unless I'm missing something major.

Thanks for the complement. I really wanted to be farther along in skills at this point. I finished my classes 11 months ago buttt...we moved and the evil realtor made me pack up all my cake stuff (WHAT...like someone seeing my home didn't want to see the big SS sam's rack in my formal dining room piled high with cake stuff? !!) and since moving to Pearland I haven't done much.

LayerCakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 10:30pm
post #130 of 138

lol btw that Alabama cake..icon_razz.gif~~~ I'm from Auburn, Alabama so I have to hate it on principle. Your cakes are amazing..

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:11am
post #131 of 138

I finally had success with my Cricut and fondant. Thanks to the person in another thread (don't know their name, sorry) who mentioned freezing fondant. Rolled out fondant to 5 on my pasta machine, placed on greased mat, into freezer in a zipper bag for 30 mins. Had my Cricut ready to go and put the mat right in. Set pressure to med and speed at med. I had to cut a lot of polka dots in different sizes and three different colors. Worked awesome!!!!

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:57am
post #132 of 138

I love my Cricut cake and it saved me a load of time and with SCAL program I can recreate pretty much anything in no time. method trials and errors, I guess in different humidity it will need different mediums, but I bought Linda McClure's DVD and her recipe had been an experience changing. Highly recommending!

lizzy2011 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:25am
post #133 of 138

Which linda mcclure dvd? And how in the world did you get that pic in your profile??????????? wanted to put a pic in my profile and can't figure it out? And by the way freezing works terrific if you are working with modeling chocolate in the cricuit, but i haven't had much luck with freezing the gumpaste or fondant, I just hit the sheets with my trusty heat gun for a few seconds to take some of the moisture out, works great.......terrible for chocolate though icon_smile.gif

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:45pm
post #134 of 138

Thanks LayerCakes, my husband is a Auburn fan so I understand.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:27pm
post #135 of 138

If you are looking for the Linda McClure DVDs they are on sale. I guess she is clearing out her cricut DVDs because she is working with a new machine.

tracie42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracie42 Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 4:51pm
post #136 of 138

I love my Cake Cricut. I use homemade gumpaste, fondant with tylose added to it and and candy clay. I always use a thin film of Crisco on my mat and leave it to dry for 5-15 minutes. I have popped it in the freezer if I'm in a hurry. So sorry that people are having problems with it. I did a cake with numerous circles different sizes about 100 circles. I cant imagine cutting them by hand. I think its like anything else you either like or you don't. I would suggest you keeping playing with it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 7:44pm
post #137 of 138

You must be referring to the expensive paper weight I have in my closet.

tracie42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracie42 Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 8:11pm
post #138 of 138

LOL that some paper weight

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%