Licensing In Ca...questions

Business By tavyheather Updated 4 May 2010 , 2:38am by tavyheather

tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 4

In San Diego county.......called the county Health dept. to see what steps to take to get licensed...the semi-helpful person told me:

1. find a commercial kitchen
2. take a "food safety class"
3. get your caterers license

She told me the cateres license is around $490 and the food safety class is $129 (found that out by looking up local classes)

Want to make sure she has her info and figures correct b4 I spend almost $500 on a license I'm not positive I need (I know I need a license, just wasn't sure it was a caterers license)...

Also, when I went to a restaurant owner today she recommended I get the class under my belt b4 asking other they would take me more seriously...wdyt?

3 replies
jennywenny Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 4

I'm in the same boat, so let me know what you find out! I've done the food handlers certificate, I was under the impression you could do that for around $25.

I did a sanitation class through my local community college, Grossmont as part of the culinary program, and then the instructor let me take the test with his other class over at Mesa College.

I recommend getting the food handlers, you'll need it anyway! I'm not sure how much the license costs...

tavyheather Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #3 of 4

Jenny, If I'm correct, the food safety class is a necessity and bypasses the food's like it encompasses both...

don't think u needed the food handlers icon_sad.gif If I'm correct at least it was only $25!

tavyheather Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 4

Jen I love your cakes! Where in the county are u??

Looks like we'll be friendly competition soon! Let's keep each other updated on what steps to take, etc..

Quote by @%username% on %date%